Chapter 51

Maya's POV

Ezra was living with us for two weeks now. He was an amazing addition to our family. He learned quickly so now he understood the basics like sit, stay, lay down, wait, be clean.

Emma was by his side all day. On weekdays he got 2 long walks and on the weekends we were managed to get a third walk down the beach.
Recently I found myself thinking about the Chief offer about the Battalion Chief post. I have talked it through with Carina. It was a much safer job and I would be able to work in 10-12h shifts rather than the 24h ones. I needed a little more time to reach out for the Chief in this matter.

However I asked for new recruits since we were heavily understaffed and wanted to train them myself in case of stepping down as Captain of Station 19.

Today was their first day. I was hoping to ad new family members to our house.

"Nineteen line up!" my voice echoed through the station a few minutes prior to our shift. They were line up in the barn two minutes later.

"So as you all know we're heavily understaffed so I asked for new recruits." I started my speech

"Yey new probies" Vic was so happy until I continued

"As you all know Andy made a rule at 23 and I completely agree with it. No more bullying just because they did the same to you. I will give them their chores just like I do with you. I want to create trust and support."

"Yes Captain!" they answered firmly

"They will start today which means Travis and Vic you are going to mentore them on their first month. I want weekly updates on their status, understood?" I knew they were my best firefighters and it would be a nice opportunity for them to practice leadership.

" Yes Captain " they said at the same time

" I want to talk to you two individually in my office after you're done with your chores. Hughes you're first." I said with my Captain voice

"Trav try not to fall for the new probie" Vic joked which earned a punch from him "auch"

"Nice one Montgomery" I laughed and let everyone go to do their chores until the new members would arrive.

"Cap you wanted to speak to me." Vic knocked on my door 15 minutes later

"Yes come sit down and close the door please." I pointed at the chair in front of my desk. She seemed on edge because of my serious tone " As you may noticed I only have one Lieutenant and since he already showed leadership qualities I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the position of captaincy soon. " I started slowly "I need to know that in my absence my Station is in good hands" It was to early to let everyone know about the possibility of me becoming Battalion Chief so I was careful with my words. "I want you to apply for Lieutenant" I said finally

"What?" she was shocked

"You have the quality and the experience for it and I would be by your side through the whole process" I said with a small smile

"Thank you Captain" She smiled back.

"Here is all the information you will need but you can always come here and ask me if something isn't clear" I handed her a big folder with informations and the book.

"Should I send Travis in?" she asked happily

I looked out of the glass door and saw two young adults looking rather lost.

"I think our new recruits are here so Travis has to wait a little. Please don't say a word to him about this conversation. When he asks about it just tell them I wanted to discuss the last call with you for details." I knew as soon as Vic left the office Travis would ask millions of questions regarding the conversation.