Chapter 34

Emma's POV

"Mamma can I have extra veggies?" I asked politely in the cafeteria.

I needed to eat them for Mommy and be good for Mamma. I needed to be good enough for them.

The past weeks were the best time of my life. I felt safe with my moms, aunties and uncles. Also I had friends. I needed to be good enough for them to keep me and not to send me back.

"Bambina is it because of what Mommy asked?" Mamma asked looking at me. I couldn't keep looking into her eyes. I found a point on the ground and kept looking at it. "Emma" she kneeled down before me not forcing anything else "You don't have to prove anything. Mommy knows how good you're. It's a parent thing. We ask the children to be good and eat the veggies even if we know they do" Mamma explained calmly. She was always so loving and caring. She was safe. "You're the best daughter and Mommy and I know it"

My eyes grew wider and I lifted my head up "I'm a good daughter?" this couldn't be right

"No" I knew it. I was never good enough. My eyes filled with tears but I didn't want to seem weak "You're the best daughter in the whole world Bambina" I stated to cry. I couldn't help it anymore "Shh Tesoro, what's wrong?" she said as she lifted me up onto her hips

"My Nonna said I was the worst nipote and figlia (granddaughter and daughter)" I sobbed into Mamma's neck.

"Ohh Tesoro" Mama rocked me which helped "that's not true. We have you now. You're our perfect daughter and we love you more than anything" her heart beat calmed me alongside with her voice. I felt my eyelids become heavier and heavier.

"Bambina wake up for me" I heard and my eyes opened up, I had no idea what happened. I started to panic "It's okay. Mamma's here. I need you to eat because we have to go back soon" she said now sitting at a table. My head was resting on her chest.

"Sorry Mamma" I managed to say as I tried to eat on my own but it was hard sitting like that.

"I've got you. I'll help you" she started to feed me.

"Mamma I'm not a baby" I protested but the truth was that I liked when they treated me like I was little.

"Of course you're a baby. You're my baby" she said holding the fork in front of my mouth. I ate everything and I got two cookie which I ate during our walk back the the daycare.

"Okay Piccola. I have a longer shift then Mommy so I'll meet you at home, okay?" she explained.

"Surgery?" I asked with curiosity

"Some yes, my little surgeon" she kissed my head

"Okay Mamma. I'll be good with Mommy too" I pushed my chest forward proudly

"Ohh I know my little girl" she hugged me before I walked back to Leo and Allison. Unfortunately Ellis was sick today.

After we finished coloring and playing with the dolls I felt a strange feeling in my tummy. I felt weird. I hoped Mommy would come quickly for me. Her cuddles always helped.

Maya's POV

The rest of my shift was quiet so I managed to get the hospital at 4pm. I couldn't wait to hold my little girl in my arms.

"Captain DeLuca-Bishop" I looked around to find the well known source of the sound in the lobby

"Ahh Chief Bailey" I smiled at her

"It's just Bailey" she started

"Well in that case it's just Maya for you" we laughed and she asked a few questions about Emma before being paged into the pit as usual.