Chapter 28

Maya's POV

A week later

During the two weeks we spent together with Emma were the best weeks of my life. I tried to create as many new memories with her as possible.

Carina came home after work and we had our snuggle time on the couch while she answered every question which came up by Emma. She was really invested in every cases and wanted to know all the procedures step by step. Carina was amazing as she thought her everything on her level since she was still a kid. She was patient, caring and loving with her.

Honestly I couldn't ask for more.

Unfortunately I had to go back to work in three days. Yeah, I know Maya who only wanted to focus on climbing the ladder to become the Battalion Chief or even Chief of SFD was having second thought about going back to being the Captain of her Station because right now she was a mommy first.

"Emma how about we go to work with Mamma tomorrow? Remember we talked about how you'll go to work with Mamma and stay in the daycare during the day?" We had that conversation during the week and although she was thrilled to spend more time in the hospital she was afraid of being alone without us. She even cried and promised she will be a good girl just to be able to stay with us all day.

" Okay Mommy" her face dropped and she focused on the ground in front of her.

She didn't want to show us how scared she was and how much she wanted to stay with us.

"Bambina, it's okay to be scared of the change. Starting something new is always hard and challenging. I was so scared when I first talked with Bailey on my first day at the hospital." Carina tried to tell her that her feelings are valued and nothing wrong with being scared.

Over the last few weeks we focused on her emotional support. We wanted her to express her feelings and fears and she made huge progress. She was getting better at asking for help and communication as well.

"Really?" She looked up from the ground with wide eyes at Carina

"Really, but it turned out I had nothing to be scared of. Bailey help me with my work and she even gave me a job at the hospital and now I'm head of the OB/GYN department." she smiled proudly at our daughter "You'll make so many new friends like Ellis. You'll play and I'll come during lunchtime and we can have our little lunch date at the cafeteria with my friends if you'd like" she hugged Emma tighter

"Sí Mama" she was smiling now more relaxed in her Mamma's embrace

"I'm going to be so jealous" I announced as I acted hurt "My girls on a date without me"

"It's okay Mommy. We'll call you and place the phone in front of us, right Mamma?" she turned back to look at Carina

"Right Bambina" she looked at me with teary eyes.

I felt the same. She was so thoughtful of us. If she noticed that Carina had a tougher day she sat in her lap and stroked her hair and cheeks until Carina completely relaxed under her touch. She was everything we could ask for and more.

"What should I cook for dinner, Emma?" Carina asked from the little girl

"Lasagna" Her eyes lit up. She developed a serious obsession with Carina's famous lasagna and I couldn't blame her for it. It was now a weekly request by our daughter. "Mamma can I help?" she asked shyly.

That was the first time she asked for cooking with Carina. I looked at Carina who had tears streaming down her face. That's when I realised she used to cooked with her Mamma when she was little and all the memories came back with her.