Chapter 62

Maya's POV

"Welcome back Captain!" my team said as soon as I walked into the beanery

"It's good to be back" I smiled gently. I've left Gibson in charge this time too to see if this time things went better. "I need to change but I want everyone in the barn in 10, okay?"

"Yes Cap" they said and started to finish their morning routine before the line up

By the time I've changed into my uniform everyone left the beanery which was cleaned after breakfast. I took a moment to observed the room and think.

Here I was standing in the cleanest fire house of the city and thinking about the past years.

Captain Herrera chose each of us individually for this house and his strategy worked. I was proud to be Captain at 19 and I even sent my application for the Battalion Chief position after getting back from LA.

My team was on the right track. Travis and Vic was a great candidate for Lieutenants and they were even better mentors for Jamie and Asa. The past month they proved that they are a valuable member of our team under Hughes' and Montgomery's leadership. Gibson lead them successfully during calls and Vic called me with an update last night so I knew there was no complications with his behaviour this time around. Ben was amazing with holding our team together and giving advices if needed. Even Sullivan was on track with climbing up the ladder again.
I ran down the stairs with a grin.

"Good morning 19" I said stepping into the barn

"NINETEEN!" They said it happily. They were just as proud to serve under 19 as I was.

"Thank you for your hard work while I was away" I started on a happy note "First Hughes and Montgomery I would like to see those reports on Elliott and Hill on my desk by noon." I turned towards my new members "I've heard how hard both of you worked on the field last week. Keep the good work up, guys"

"Thank you captain!" they said in union.

"Lieutenant Gibson." I looked at my Lieutenant "Thank you for subbing during my absence once again. I've read the reports on the last few calls and I have to say I'm impressed by your decisions." I compliment his leadership qualities. "Okay team today we will have a light workout session in between calls. Gibson, Sullivan you're on the Engine today.
Warren, Hughes and Elliott you're on Ladder. Montgomery and Hill this leaves you with the AID CAR for the day." I assigned everyone on their posts for the day."

"Thanks captain I haven't been on calls with the AID CAR for so long" Travis said

"Travis we have talked about ji..." I said firmly

LADDER 19
ENGINE 19
AID CAR 19
2273 UNIVERSITY STREET
LAB FIRE

"I'm..." Travis started while running towards his turnout

"Just don't" I was having none of it. I hopped into the vehicle check the details of the call on my iPad "Let's go 19"

It turned out to be a 3-alarm fire. The building was in the campus filled with students and chemical due to searching lab on the second floor. Station 23 and 45 was already on the scene.

"Captain Herrera" I said to my best friend as soon as I spotted her outside

"Captain DeLuca-Bishop" she said with a smile

"Fill me in" I said on a more serious note

"Something with one of the experiments in the lab went wrong which caused the primary explosion. A few flameable liquid caught on fire causing the second explosion. Station 45 was managed to put out the fire on the second floor so the lab is secured. We're currently on fire attack and secondary search on the third floor. " she informed me