Chapter 73: Stohess Part 1

The occasional bump in the road made my stomach flip with nauseating pain as we traveled to Stohess.

Usually, my pain tolerance would be higher, but when the body heals it somehow becomes more delicate and sensitive.

How wonderful is that? It not... It's a fucking nightmare.

The coach behind us held "Eren" in cuffs, and we were heading straight into our plan. There was no turning back now, so if this didn't work, we were most assuredly screwed.

I could only hope that this would all work out for us, but I doubted it would. Annie was clever, and we were likely underestimating her again.

Well, I wasn't. Really, it was Erwin.

Erwin sat before me, staring out the window with distant blue eyes. He was in deep thought. Sometimes, he'd get like this and shut out everything happening around him for hours on end.

A warmth settled on my right hand, pulling my attention to Levi quickly.

"You're too pale. You better not be doubting yourself or something." He whispered into my ear gently. The tenderness in his voice made my heart leap into my throat in the blink of an eye.

My green and blue differing eyes narrowed in thought at his words.

Was I really and truly ready for this? I had a damaged body, and mentally, I was unsure about what I should do other than stay close to Levi or Erwin.

What's more than that, I was in the dress my mother gave me. The crimson skirt hung around my ankles gently and swayed slightly with every bump in the road. There was no way I could help.

If they needed me to fight I couldn't, but I could do what I was trained to do.

Save humanity. If this plan went south, there was no doubt Erwin would tell me to assist civilians. I'd just have to do it all with both my feet on the ground.

Even if Erwin didn't ask anything of me, I'd help the people of Stohess District.

I was ready.

"I'm not doubting anything. I'm just a little sore, Levi." It came out much more defensive than I intended, but then again, I felt much more useless than I wanted to be and sore was an understatement.

"Tch, you're lying. Where does it hurt?" His voice dropped it's warmth and he poked at me gently, just trying to see where I was hurting.

With a light blush, I pushed his hand away and shook my head in disagreement. He didn't need to be concerned.

"I promise I'll be alright. I'm not going to do anything stupid." I snapped back defiantly with a small hint of amusement. He narrowed his eyes more.

"You always do something stupid." He grumbled, clearly disgruntled, before looking away from me.

"Maybe so, but I mean no harm when I do. I react on instinct, Levi. When it tells me to go, I go."

He didn't look back at me, but Erwin did.

"Be prepared," He said seriously. "We plan on reaching the capital. You should act refined when we get there."

I rolled my eyes.

Me? Refined? He must be on something.

"You know we'll never get there properly. Annie won't take the bait like you think she will. We're riding in a small convoy unit, with our decoy in the coach behind us. We'll have the Military Police "protecting" us, when really we all know it's just for show." I waved my hands around in the air with quotations and everything just to get my point across. I may have looked silly, but neither male in the compartment seemed to mind.