Chapter 56: A Mother's Protection

"I will answer any questions you have." Levi stated, setting down the tea he just received from me slowly and carefully.

There were a few minutes of prolonged silence before he spoke since my mother's last statement. I think it was due to his embarrassment. Maybe it was just hesitation as well. I had no clue.

All I knew was... He needed to calm down.

"Have you made it known that you are interested in her? As in, have you actually told her your feelings? Olivia, sit with us. This includes you too, young lady." My mother shot both of us serious and stern looks. I knew she was analyzing our reactions, and I wasn't about to protest against her.

This was her way of protecting me: interrogation. She was normally soft-spoken and timid but this time she was serious and straight forward.

To avoid upsetting her; I took a seat at the other end of the table, keeping Levi in between us. This was her assessment of Levi, not me.

I was strictly prohibited from stepping in at this time.

Cautiously, I sipped my own cup of tea as Levi answered with complete and brutal honesty.

"I haven't directly voiced this feeling, but I have shown her with different actions."

"Those actions would need to be gentlemanly and kind in order to pass you as a suitable man for my daughter. Tell me, Olivia. What actions has he performed that have met these requirements?" Her eyes rested on me heavily and Levi flinched, probably remembering the harsher treatments he gave me rather than some of the nicer ones.

"While they are few in number Levi has provided actions to back up his claims. Today he held my pinky in his to calm me down as we talked. He cared enough to save us from that disgrace of a man I used to call a father. A little while back, he caught me when a friend shoved me too hard. He has held me even when I was a mess, and he has even helped me on and off of a horse more recently." The more I spoke, the more love and affection seeped into my tone - silencing the room for a brief moment.

My mother took this into consideration as her eyes processed it then she continued.

"That's all? He has a lot to make up for, after he hurt you for so long." She sighed in disappointment and propped her chin up in her hand. Resting her elbow on the table.

I took another sip of tea with Levi in tow then set the cup back down before answering.

"What happened, happened. It can't be changed, and I don't wish for it to change. The small things Levi does for me are magnified because they don't happen often. Emotions are vast and unpredictable. We are not familiar with romantic love. So, it's only natural for our relationship to be unstable at the start. We have to grow with one another." I rested a hand on my chest and looked down at the table for answers which it couldn't provide.

I felt out of control in both body and mind. My heart was racing like a galloping horse and my head was spinning like a child's top. I had so much to say, but not even the words I knew could help voice this problem.

I was so anxious my mother would misinterpret my voiced feelings on the matter that it was making me feel sick.

"I see. Captain, my suggestion to you is to set certain rules in this courtship. However, my main rule - if I give you my blessing - is that you don't get married until a year passes from now." A soft expression crossed my mother's face and Levi relaxed by a fraction. My unease snapped and I felt calm once more at her suggestion.

"We will work on boundaries together. You don't need to be concerned about me marrying her immediately. We will talk about that when it feels right." Levi threw his left leg over his right and leaned back in his chair calmly, leaving the tea on the table.