Chapter 17: Realization and Frustration

Morning came quickly and soon, I took Levi's clothes, plus his dust cloths, to the basement in a small pail in order to wash them. The pail was full of soapy water that had turned light pick with the wine that had soaked out.

So if I wanted to wash them I'd have to be quick since the water was lowering in temperature.

In the basement we have two holding cells, and a large place where all Scouts could get their laundry done.

In this area we have hot water and soap that is used to add to the water.

The only thing that sucked was having to haul the small wooden basin up the stairs and outside to get rid of the dirty soap water in it.

See, it was critical to have clean clothes, so that was the only reason the pipes here gave hot water. If you wanted a shower, it had to be cold. There were fireplaces for a reason, but they were usually in homes, not fortresses. So, all soldiers of the Regiment had to deal with cold water.

You get used to it quickly though. Then the hot water feels like fire on your skin.

I also had to talk to Akita about my predicament, but that would have to come later.

First, Levi's clothes needed to be taken care of. It was highly likely that if I didn't, he would strangle me with the dust cloths he wears when he cleans. At this point, after seeing him break a mop on Isabel's back, I expected it from him.

Once I started cleaning his clothes I felt at ease. Finally, my body relaxed. The heated water put my mind at ease like the sun on a clear spring day.

I have found that whenever I'm close to someone or around people, my body tensed and remained that way until I was alone again.

It was a reflex I picked up from the many lessons of my father. I haven't been able to get rid of it.

"Oh, hello Squad Leader. What are you doing down here?" Her calming tone coming from nowhere alarmed me. It was Akita.

"I'm just washing a few things. I assume that's why you're here too." I mentioned, looking back over my shoulder to study her.

Her green eyes are shining with happiness and her dark brown hair is up in a neat bun. In her arms rests a weaved wood basket full of her clothes and Flagon's. Interesting.

"Yeah. I have a few questions too." She stated hesitantly.

"Ask away." I said, my attention rested back on Levi's shirt, and the task of getting everything of his, cleaned.

"I have many questions. What age did you become a Squad Leader? Are those three your new friends? If so, what made you change? How did you become a Squad Leader? Are you doing okay?" She shot her questions and I stopped her with a raised hand.

"Breathe, girl. I became a Squad Leader at 19, and I graduated from training at 17, after two years when I joined at 15. How I got to where I am is due to my medical studies and experience. Patsy, also helped keep me in line. Two, of the three, are my friends for sure. One of them, still has a bit of hesitation. Which I understand." I took a moment before I continued. "The only thing that made me change is their personalities. I am doing fine, so don't worry."

I put my hand back into the hot water and continue scrubbing Levi's shirt against the washing board. The wine bled out of his shirt and I nodded in approval, pulling it out of the water to hang up on the wires.

"Who's shirt is that?" She jabbed quickly. My body tensed and I let out a nervous laugh.

"It's, Levi's." My voice shook and wavered with anxiety.