Chapter 45: Shattering

Warning: Emotions. Consider preparing tissues?

This was the only fitting song for the end of the chapter.

* * * * * * * * * *

Blood. Bright crimson blood, was everywhere on the streets and also stained my hands to the bone. It had all dried in layers on my skin until a new layer was added. I didn't have gloves on me to switch out so I had to do things the messy way.

I had saved 56 lives so far but the amount of soldiers dying or getting wounded in the act of defending Eren was becoming immeasurable.

I felt weak but kept going, ignoring all signals for my body's exhaustion, including the occasional loss of vision.

My clothes had started sticking to my skin as my body used reserves of energy I hardly had in the first place.

Just a few minutes ago, Rico had fired a red flare signalling that the plan had gone south, putting a halt on their actions completely.

I kept working while keeping my eyes peeled for Maya, who left to get the news. I needed to know what was happening in order to run over my options.

Shortly after she left, Maya came back with word that Eren had lost control and somehow ended up slumped over against the boulder. Rico judged the situation quickly and did what she thought was best. Apparently they were still arguing while the Titans continued to pour in.

I didn't bother to double check or see for myself if her words were true. Mikasa was there to help Eren and bring him back. Besides it wasn't my job to watch over him right now. For all I knew, Armin could be heading this way.

Until something massively important happened, I would run along the rooftops in search of anyone I could save. Even the ones about to be eaten.

"Captain! Over here! Someone's still here!" Audrey called from somewhere on my left. A few streets away she was waving her arms at me. I rushed over without thinking about anything else.

"Good work! Rendezvous with the others and watch my back like before." I ordered, slipping into the tight alley she was standing next to.

The sticky liquid on my hands wiped off as I used my arms to slow my decent in front of a whimpering soldier.

Upon closer inspection I counted a large gash on his upper arm. Whether it was from a piece of debris or the nail of a Titan, it didn't matter. He needed medical help.

"Hey, can you hear me? What's your name soldier?" I asked him softly kneeling down to inspect his injury and to pull the bag from my back. His injury was down to the bone and spewing more blood by the second.

I was still decent on supplies, but I would need some more soon. Especially with how things were going now.

"Troy. Troy Dalton." He whined, looking up at me. His silver eyes were starting to lose light as the puddle of crimson grew below him.

His complexion was sickly and weak, making me worry slightly. He must have been down here a while.

"Okay, Mr. Dalton. I'm Olivia Strauss. I am a medical professional in the Scouts. I need you to stay awake for me, can you to that?" I asked pulling my suture kit and some material for a tourniquet.

"I don't know if I can... I'll try..." He whispered quietly. His head dropped down and I patted his cheek with a dried bloody hand.

"Hey, tell me about your family. You have one yes? What are they like? Tell me everything." I said wrapping his arm with the thick cloth and pulling it tight to slow the blood flow.