Chapter 13: Assessment Part 2

Levi stood, observing the blades like they were the most interesting thing in the world.

There wasn't any wind flowing through the sky, and the only noises were other soldiers.

My heart thudded against my chest, the anxiety from earlier was still present.

A metallic shift caught my attention, and when I looked at the ebony haired man I noticed that he was holding the blade, in one his hilts, towards the grassy ground.

"You damn Punk. What do you think you're going holding it like that?" Flagon snapped coldly, crossing his arms over his chest. "They weren't designed to be held like that! You wanna die when you step outside the walls?"

Levi's eyes met his Leader and he glared for a moment.

"That might just happen to you." He replied emotionlessly, shoving the blade back into it's compartment and releasing it with a switch on the handles.

Flagon reeled back for a moment and I smirked at the situation.

It wasn't nice, it was just Levi. His dry humor amused me.

I liked it, and that was dangerous.

Walls help me if that man ever finds out.

I got into position and waited for him to begin. Flagon took his position next to me.

Once he did I nodded to Hanji, standing with Moblit, and waited for Levi to go. Flagon followed Levi closely, I let them fade for a moment before joining. Hanji's excited squeal from behind me let's me know she is impressed with his experience.

When watching him, I could see why. He was calm and collected like the walls surrounding humanity. His eyes were scanning the area with the accuracy of a bird of prey. His figure was relaxed like a gently breeze in the summer.

Everything about him in this moment was flawless. He looked like a seasoned veteran, and that was impressive. Now, came the harder part.

A squad member of his pulls on a rope, deploying a tall dummy with a fake skin patch for training. It came out of nowhere and Levi was barreling towards it.

However, at the last moment he releases his hooks and falls a little before attaching them on the other side of the dummy on the same branch as before, having to flip himself over to do so.

He moved with grace and speed, the likes of which I had never seen before.

A trail of released gas led me to his crouched figure hanging from the branch. It was the only thing that told me where he was, otherwise he could have been non-existent. He then draws his blades, and positions then to his liking.

The next moment happened so fast I had to replay it in my mind.

The tree branch splintered as he kicked off of it and made his cut. It was deeper than I had seen in a while. Even for myself.

He zipped away before any comments were made and gave side eye to Flagon.

'Try insulting me again you bastard.' His eyes said. They were colder than ice could ever dream of being.

Levi pressed on, digging his blades into the napes of all the dummies with impeccable timing and speed. It was like watching a sunset for the first time. Breathtaking.

We looped back around and landed letting people reset for the day. By eavesdropping a little, I caught that Farlan and Isabel did just as well, with a little less efficiency on the nape test.

Now it was on to academic aptitude. Erwin often made the tests for knowledge in basic studies like math, language, science, and all that simple stuff.

However I was sure it would be a little struggle for them. That in mind, Erwin, Flagon's squad, and Hanji's squad all took to the buildings of the Training Corps. My squad and I were to return to our duties. I, however, drew my new comrades.

Drawing came with the territory. I had to make blueprints for new inventions that were ran past Hanji, Erwin, Commander, and then the Premier.

Beyond that I had no idea what happened, the idea would either be passed or rejected.

Of course I also have been studying ways to isolate certain, sicknesses, cells, or DNA from a person's body. So far, nothing. I was missing something.

It was difficult to say the least, but I was okay with that.

So, on free moments like this one, I often drew the faces of the people I knew. Every day, dozens at a time were lost to the titans. This was my way of keeping them with me.

I never told anyone about this part of my life, or my past. It was just something people here didn't understand. Hanji would, but she would likely tell everyone before I could stitch her mouth shut.

Before I had realized it, Isabel's head was drawn. A beautiful, excited, dazzling smile was on her face, lighting her eyes. All of my work was from memory, it was something that came naturally. It happens when someone can never return to the living.

It made them alive in my heart at least.

Once I was done with Isabel, I moved on to Farlan. He reminded me of of the sand we found at the lake a while back. Soothing and always there. He was reliable. That was the truth.

I finished him, only doing half his body like Isabel. Then it was on to Levi.

I related him to the darkness of night and the stars. He was that something you don't expect on a cold and dark night. His rage and intelligence were unforseen in that darkness. Yet, he was like a fortress that stood among the stars, untouched and lonely. What was it about him that grabbed my attention?

He was so different from his friends. So distant, cold, and dark. Yet, he was so warm with them.

I wanted part of that. It was selfish, but I wanted that same warmth from him.

Once his drawing was finished, I shoved all three into my desk drawer and locked it up.

No one knew, and I decided Levi was going to be the first to know. Just not today. I wasn't ready for him to see my secrets.

Time had passed with the drawings each taking an hour, it was late noon now and time for chores.

"I'm starting to wonder if you only pretend you can hear me. It's rude not to answer a question." His deep voice echoed coldly. My eyes snapped up to meet the irritated man in front of my desk.

"I'm sincerely sorry, Levi. What did you ask me?"

"Will you muck out the stables with us?"

It took me another moment to realize that Farlan and Isabel had walked in to join Levi.

"I will, but first.... Why?"

"Because if you don't, then this idiot," he pointed to Isabel, "won't shut up about how rude I am."

"Levi, aren't we getting too close? This is dangerous." Farlan whispered to Levi. I barely caught it, but I still did. It scared me, but I acted like I never heard it.

They were hiding something, but what the hell was it?

I hope they tell me before I find out. I thought with a slight fidget.

"Okay, then. I'd like to help out."

"Yeah!" Isabel snatched my hand then drug me out of the infirmary.

"Okay, okay. I get it. Let's get this started." I laughed and walked with Isabel to the stables as Levi and Farlan lingered behind to talk.

Whatever it is, I was going to ask Erwin about it. Even if I was angry at the man, he was the one who would most likely give me the information.

If anyone had information it was that giant ass man.