Chapter 6: Favor

After lunch I led the trio through the main building as promised.

"In this hall you will find and bedrooms of lower ranking officials. The two floors above are filled with middle and higher ranking officials. This first hall connects to the kitchen and mess hall. We also have stairs that go from the basement to the roof. You won't find much else here. The training area is about a mile or two away as far as Scouts go. The Cadets that come in from the Cadet Corps train somewhere else. It's been a while so I don't remember where." I shrugged and turned to look at them.

"Where are you and Erwin placed in this system?" Isabel inquired energetically.

"Erwin is on the top floor in the middle next to Commander Shadis. He is next in line for Commander for sure. As for me I am in the floor just above this one, three doors down from the stairs."

"What about the infirmary?" Farlan questioned shortly after my answer. He reaches up to run a hand through his hair. The moment his fingers made contact, it was like his hair was butter melting under his fingertips.

"Oh, right! It's in another building."

"Are you going to show us?" Levi snapped quietly. He seemed pretty calm for a person with his personality.

"Yes. Follow me," I instructed, leading the way back down the wide hallway, towards the mess hall. "After I show you the infirmary, you guys should prepare your bunks and get ready for assessment."

"Assessment?" Isabel asked with uncertainty as we trekked down the stairs and exit the mess hall through the main door.

"They are going to judge us, idiot." Levi clarified rather softly. His eyes have melted back into a metallic blue and carry a very small fond look in them.

It seems like these two are really important to him. I thought with a tiny smile.

So he does care deep down. Other than the insults, I'd say he is alright.

"Precisely. Levi is correct." I let out a chuckle and continue to lead them to a much shorter building. What it lacks in stories it has in space.

"This is it? It's just a tall, rectangle." Isabel described, her face morphing into a disappointed pout.

Well, I can't say I wasn't expecting that. The main building itself is about four stories high with an addition. The mess hall. This was just a normal sized building.

"Yeah, it's not much. However, the inside is clean and it is good enough to save lives." I led them inside and herd two audible gasps behind me.

"I'll be the judge." Levi mumbled, scanning the area at first. Then he switched to wiping surfaces with his hand. Looking at him, I can tell he is relaxed, so I study him for a moment.

Neat and tidy ebony locks, styled in an undercut, hung like curtains for his eyes. His face was elegant and sophisticated with sharp jawbones, a straight nose, and two suitable metallic blue eyes. Looking at his form I could discern muscles lining his lithe form from top to bottom. It would make sense given where he came from. Now only one thing remained to be seen. Was he as agile and graceful as his body portrayed?

After a few minutes had passed he turned to face us.

"Who does the cleaning?" His intimidating tone sent a shiver up my spine as he narrowed his eyes on me. He knew I was studying him moments earlier.

"We all do. I don't let anyone opt out of cleaning unless they are sick or injured. This is the infirmary and I expect it to be clean to avoid infection and possible outbreak of disease." I shuffle up to him and smile kindly.

We could definitely become great friends one day. Cleanliness is definitely shared between us.

"It's acceptable. Not the best, but it is functional. There is a light layer of dust on the medicine cabinet." He stated plainly. My smile dropped in an instant and I shook my head.

"We aren't perfect here, Levi. However, I am glad you noticed, I will get rid of it later. Now let's get you out to the fields. There is where you meet your steed and bond with them. Don't worry though, that is not a part of your assessment, you just need a horse to outrun titans." I led them back out of the infirmary and take notice of how Levi reaches for his neck.

"How young were you when you became a Squad Leader?" Farlan shot out suddenly as he jumped out to my left side.

"I was... Eighteen. However, my birthday isn't a day I get to celebrate often. I am 20 now."

"So you haven't been in charge for very long. When is your birthday, we don't have any celebrations because we don't know our exact time of birth." Isabel butts in with a curious expression.

"Hmmm.... Well it is May currently..... So I think it is in August when the leaves just start to turn orange. Also, don't worry about having a birthday, we can celebrate after you guys train a bit. I will get you all gifts and discuss things with the Commander of setting a birthdate for you three."

Farlan and Isabel both began to laugh at me while Levi simply clicked his tongue. Silence fell over us as we walked quickly past the stables and to a giant pasture with gates.

"That sounds wonderful! Gah! I'm so excited!" Isabel yelled, pumping her fist into the air.

"Oi, stop causing a scene, idiot." Levi growled from behind us. Both Farlan and Isabel flinch from his authority.

"Sorry, Levi-bro. I got carried away again." She countered with sparkling, round eyes. I watched them chat for a minute, leaning against the wooden fences.

"Oi, are you going deaf or some shit?" A leg nudged my own, making me stumble shortly. Once I regain my composure I face the owner of the action.

I am shocked as my eyes gaze upon Levi's emotionless face.

"Uh, no. What is it, Levi?" My cheeks burnt with hot fire. I was caught off guard by a man my size. My father would beat me just for that alone.

"I have a favor to ask of you. I can't trust anyone else here." He whispered from beside me. We were practically standing shoulder to shoulder at this point just so we could hear each other over the chaos.

"It depends on the favor, and why you trust me to help you with it." I shot back, just as quietly. His eyes widened just a fraction and that told me that he was shocked.

"You have yet to insult us, and you are... Just different." He sighed and pushed off the log fence.

"Okay, good enough I suppose. What is this favor then?" I crossed my arms over my chest and looked directly at the male next to me.

"We need to sneak back into the underground for some of our important things."

"Are you serious? You just got up here and you want to go back?" I kept my voice down as best as possible, but this was a request that has never been fulfilled.

"Look, you may not fully understand, but there are a few things that I--we-- can't go without."

The correction he used tells me that it was mostly for his piece of mind. He needed something from down there.

"Okay. We can slip out tonight after you get a bond settled with a horse. It will be easier to sneak out late at night, but it can only be us. Travelling in more than a pair will go noticed easier. Meet me at the stables a few hours after curfew, by then you will have a registered horse and we will make our way to that hell hole. The worst that could happen is I get in trouble. Don't worry, I will cover for you if it comes to it." I said sweetly. This was either going to end great or poorly.

Either way, I was prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.

"Tch, I will be there." He grumbled in irritation before staring his walk back over to Farlan and Isabel.

"Levi," He pauses. "Thank you for trusting me."

"Whatever, just be there, brat."