Chapter 64: Unreasonable Fear

Soft silky stands of black hair slipped through my fingers with ease as my hands moved against Levi's scalp in slow, soothing, patterns.

Tomorrow was our early morning departure to the world beyond the walls and Levi decided to spend the whole day before it together as an apology.

It was a wonderful way to end our grievances and enjoy ourselves in the moment.

Hell, he had even let me write letters to our individual team members in order to thank them for everything and their meaning to me.

Everything, including positions on the field, and back up plans had been taught to the new recruits during the remaining time before the expedition.

There was nothing to worry about and it left everyone with one day of rest with no interruptions.

Oluo and Petra had gotten much closer, and eventually I had gotten used to him - nonsense included.

There were no words exchanged as Levi and I relaxed in one another's presence; his head rested in my lap and my hands laced through his soft hair.

Both of us were just satisfied by the silent understanding of one another and the slow, soothing, movements that were performed.

However, as if spurred on by my subconscious, dread constricted my heart in place and I ceased all my movements - much to Levi's dismay.

"Levi," I addressed tensely, "I don't feel great about this expedition."

All I got was a small, irritated, hum in response as he twisted to face me. His eyebrows were drawn in tightly with his displeasure.

"So you've stated in the past." He said gruffly in response. I sighed in frustration and continued messing with his hair.

"Levi, I had a dream about it. Petra came to me, pale, broken, bleeding, and lifeless with a morbid warning. She warned me about someone lacking mercy. I saw her again that night in the rain. Something is going to happen." I murmured, lost in the thought of that dream and why so much of it was difficult to remember.

"So you've seen our dead comrade twice now? What's your prediction?" Levi asked me, opening his stunning eyes to look into my eyes. There was only genuine curiosity swirling inside of them and it helped me voice myself more.

"It was horrifying Levi. Her eyes were milky and dull; she had blood all over her body." I insisted, holding eye contact with him before continuing on. "As for the prediction, I think Erwin is sending us to our deaths. This enemy is likely going to be after Eren and I don't know what power they have. For all we know she could have powers close to Eren's. How do we handle that?"

"She?" Levi asked, scrunching his face up in confusion and suspicion.

"Yes, she. That's all I know." I sighed, slowing my hand movements.

"Erwin always sends us to our deaths. There's nothing different about this time. He may be an asshole, but his mind is the sharpest weapon humanity has. Best we can do is trust it." Levi defended poorly, shrugging casually as if he didn't really care.

"Sharp as his mind may be, is it worth the damage? This isn't going to end well for a vast majority of us. I can feel it coming." My voice wavered slightly and Levi snatched my free hand.

"I know. I feel it too, but talking to Erwin about it is pointless. He's determined to see this through, and as his subordinates we have to obey." Levi said through gritted teeth.

"You really hate authority, huh?" I chuckled, ruffling his delicate hair slowly.

"Yes. Besides that point, there isn't a way to stop something we know nothing about." He sighed in relief before curling closer to me, his face much closer to my stomach than it was originally.