Chapter 19: Expedition

I'll be using the events from the No Regrets manga. This is going to be rough guys. Also, I know the training takes months, but I have other ideas.

* * * * * * * * * *

The sound of my door opening in the early morning, woke me up fairly quickly. A familiar scent of chemicals and bitter herbs pollutes my nose and a heavy weight descends upon my prone form.

"Oh, Olive!~ It's time to get up!~" A voice sang in my ear.

"Hanji, I swear to God, if you don't get off me.... I will destroy your lab." I whined pathetically in the hopes of getting my friend off me.

"Okay!" Just like that she was off of me. "I'm off! You need to get dressed and ready to go. You get to ride with us through Trost, past the wall, and to South Shiganshina district." Her rambling caught my attention and shocked me to my core.

Our new headquarters was being installed there, and it is where my family resides. What shocked me most was that we were deciding to leave through Shiganshina District. We hadn't traveled that way in a long time.

I sat up in my bed and looked at my bouncing friend. She wore a crazy grin and even crazier hair. Her glasses were reflecting the light from the sun, making it hard to see her eyes.

"I'll get dressed. Is Erwin really going to go through with his plan?" I asked, completely exhausted.

Here's the thing, Erwin was a good man. Sweet even. Unfortunately, he was more focused on strategy and getting things done than anything else in the world.

During the week, he had lectured us all on his new formation plan. It was damn near flawless to say the least. However that's where the ranks and squads were put into perspective. I only mentioned the rooms of different ranks.

The hard part to explain is that this whole building had more to it. I only showed Levi, Isabel, and Farlan a part of it. Everything came down to rank here.

We had a Medical building off to the side sure. It held the staff of other medical officers as well. Such as Vets for the horses. The main building itself, held lecture halls, Scout rooms, a basement, an ODM station, restock, storage, food, a kitchen, and a mess hall.

To put it simply, the building was huge like a castle. The rooms for higher ranking soldiers resided in the main building, but the newer recruits stayed in the barracks unless requested otherwise. My team, preferred to stay there and tend to those that had been in a fight or something of the sort.

The complexities of the system and building layout was hard to get a grasp off.

Top floor held the Commander, his deputy - Erwin, Lieutenants, and Captains.

Middle floor, that had stairs leading to the mess hall, held Section Commanders, Squad Leaders, Corporals, and Lance Corporals.

Ground floor, held older, more experienced recruits. It was nice for them, and the new ones got the barracks. Under that level we had our basement and laundry room. The newest Cadets had to do their laundry outside.

My lack of attention to ranks is what Erwin mostly scolded me for. This time, it was clear and his formation plan would help with avoiding titans.

Man, clearing things up really helped. If only I wasn't so angry that first day, I would have clarified a lot more then. What can I do? It's life. You forget shit.

"I mean the brass passed it so.... Yeah. We're doing it. Our sprout became a tree!" She squealed, rushing out to my office door. "See you out there!! Bye!" She yelled, throwing it open and bolting out of the area. Of course she left it open like the crazy woman she is.

A loud groan of frustration filled my room and I flopped back down on my mattress.

A nagging feeling in my gut drew me out of bed and to my dresser.

I felt uneasy about something. Then again that was before every expedition.

I got my clothes out and walked out into my office to close the door. Look, sometimes closing the bedroom door just doesn't feel like enough, okay?

When that is over, I get dressed and put my nightgown in my basket. I'd have to do my own laundry when I got back.

If, I came back.

The dread in my stomach churned and climbed up to my throat leaving room for anxiety I couldn't fix. The dread remained, despite my efforts to shake it off of me.

Something is definitely going to happen.

I let out a frustrated and tired sigh before leaving my living quarters completely. I'm startled as someone hugs me. This time, it is from in front of me and it doesn't set me off.

I soon realized that the person hanging from my neck was none other than Isabel.

"Sister Liv, can you explain the formation again. Levi-bro is calling me nasty names for forgetting." She whined hysterically. I let out a gentle laugh and gave her a few pats on the back.

"Well, where is our sulky friend? I'd like to defend you." I murmured softly as she let me go.

Levi appeared in his doorway, dressed in the full Survey Corps outfit. I will admit, green suits him.

"Okay, Captain. Test me." He remarked sassily. It was rare to see this side of him. He must be in a good mood.

"The formation is complex. We have many positions and flare meanings. It's okay to forget some things." I grinned, waiting for Farlan to show up.

"For a superior, you are soft." He shot back sharply. It made me laugh again. He was right, I was supposed to be commanding them around. However....

"Levi, I am not your Squad Leader or Captain. I'm not in charge of you or your actions unless it crosses the line." I reasoned gently. "You only have to address your squad leader as Captain. I can just be a friend to you. Even as a higher ranking officer of this military branch."

"Tch, your mouth runs like a fucking river. If I didn't know any better I'd say you were a squealing pig." He smirked triumphantly just as Farlan bursts out of his room. There was no malice or hate in his tone. Instead, there was a taunting, playful undertone to it.

"Levi! That's rude!" He yelled hotly at the shorter male. His temper was heated in the morning like fresh tea, huh? Fun.

"So is throwing open doors and yelling in the halls." He hissed walking towards the mess hall. We all followed him.

No breakfast would be served today, it was all field rations and water from a canteen.

To me, that was fine.

"It's okay guys. Even if I am your superior, you guys have the skills to surpass me in rank within the year. Levi is considered better than veterans with the ODM gear. Isabel is great with calming horses and she is decent at the gear. And you, Farlan, are level headed most of the time and can keep on track." I listed of quickly. Chatter from outside flooded out our conversation almost instantly.

We called this, the last conversation. Soldiers only got a few minutes to talk to their friends within the Corps before the expedition. Most of this people failed to return.

The dread in my gut launched to my chest as my eyes scanned the open area. Soldiers and horses alike were scattered over the rocky path and plaza. It just snapped things into perspective once more.

"I'll tell you on the way to Shiganshina, about the formation. However, right now, it is important that you say things you want to say to each other before we head out." I smiled at the three of them as they all faced me.

I wanted to cry.

You can't stop dread. No matter what you do, it's there. You can't pinpoint the origin, and it weighs on your chest with a force so harsh it sucks your head into a spiral. You don't know what is lying ahead of you.

You only know that something horrible is going to happen, and it is inevitable.

And not knowing the outcome of a choice or an action....

That, my friends, is the most terrifying feeling above all others.