Chapter 38: Start of the Battle

"I want everyone split into four squadrons, as practiced." An Elite called over the crowd of soldiers and I studied his expression from the front row of the courtyard.

He had brown greasy hair a bulky mustache, and a full beard. His hazel eyes were sunk in and expressed nervousness, fear, and straight up horror.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he shit his pants.

I knew of this plan, it was practiced in every regiment and couldn't be skipped by anyone.

"All squadrons are responsible for supply-running, message relay, and enemy combat under the command of the Garrison Regiment! The Intercept Squadron will be taking the vanguard. Cadets will be taking the middle guard, led by the support squad. Rear guard will go to the elites." He continued and I kept my eyes on him despite wanting to look around.

It was a tactical plan, but putting the Garrison in charge was a mistake. They rarely engage with titan combat.

However, since I was a part of the support squad I would be teamed with the cadets. I had gotten that position by informing the elites about my occupation.

In mutual agreement, we decided I would be better off in the center of everything.

"I expect you all to man your posts knowing the Advance team has been wiped out." He continued his speech and collective gasps and hushed murmurs echoed around the area. "That's right; the outer gate is history. The Titans are in. This means the "Armored Titan" is likely to reappear."

Silence fell over the crowd. The air became tense and fearful. I knew the rest of the story. Stay put like a good little soldier and fight until the city is evacuated. Desertion is punishable by execution. Blah, blah, blah.

I stopped listening and my mind drifted elsewhere. Before I could even bring my mind back on track Armin was tapping my shoulder.

"Section-Commander, come with me. I'm going to help you get medical supplies for the battle. " He squeaked out nervously.

"Lead the way kid." I gave him an endearing smile and followed him to the supply room and strapped a bag to my back. It had a lot of things in it, but I knew this bag would be used in a matter of minutes.

After that I walked back into the courtyard to talk to Eren and Mikasa. Instantly, I was met by panic and fear.

Cadets were strewn about the area whimpering and crying. Some other soldiers were vomiting and tearing up.

You poor souls... You haven't seen anything yet. I thought dazedly. This has only just begun.

"Move it!" A voice barked. I looked to my right and saw Eren in front of another cadet. He had a long face, narrow eyes, and an undercut hairstyle.

If I was being honest, he looked like a stuck up little shit.

"What the hell man? What's wrong with you?" Eren asked, grabbing onto the boy's arm.

"What kind of question is that? We're all about to be titan chow. You expect me to sing you a happy little song?" The male grabbed onto Eren's shirt. I made my way over to them, passing Mikasa on the way. "You're loving this aren't you, you little psycho? 'Course you are! Your whole life's aspiration is to be eaten! I was one day short of joining the MP's!"

"Jean, get ahold of yourself!" Eren stood his ground firmly.

I planted a hand on the young man's -- Jean's -- shoulder and gripped it tightly.

"Young man, drop the issue and filthy tongue. At least his aspirations hold some meaning. You only wish to be lazy, ignorant, selfish, and stupid. I don't want to be rude, but if you don't cool your temper you'll be the first of many to die. Now, let him go." I threatened darkly.