Chapter 49: Stability

There we sat on the roof, silence swallowing us as we thought about we wanted to say. A small lantern sat between us lighting the small area.

"I don't like spilling these kind of things. It feels weird." He spoke first, leaving me to take it in as stars dotted the sky above.

"You did it earlier, what's different?" I questioned, my voice lower in volume and softer in tone.

"I wasn't thinking properly," Levi looked at me with conflicted eyes. "Now I am."

You don't want to feel vulnerable. It feels weak. I get it.

"I understand why you don't want to say anything. You know the first time I returned home after staying with the Scouts, my father beat me for displaying emotions. So if anyone understands you Levi, it's me. You're the one that wanted to talk. So, talk." I urged him and looked directly into his eyes.

His eyes were like ponds, so deep and filled with emotion hardly anyone ever noticed – to afraid to look him in the eye. They threatened to swallow me and hold me like a hostage.

"Don't tell me what to do brat," This time around his name for me was softer than usual. It felt good. "You're my subordinate." I looked away from him and to the ground below.

Funny how I've been here longer the winds have changed. I'm proud of you, Levi. I wish I could say that out loud.

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. I'm sorry for my mother's actions earlier. It was embarrassing." One of my hands scratched my shoulder and I let out a defeated sigh.

"Tch, don't apologize about that. It's not your place. She was serious about us being a couple, huh?"

I nodded and chuckled. "You must have said something that pleased her. She was very angry when I told her what happened between us. So was Freya."

All I got in return was the usual click of his tongue, so I continued.

"I'm not expecting you to harbor feelings for me, Levi. We talked about all this. I want to tell you as the very least that you don't have to pretend around me. You can cry, scream, rage, and crack. I've seen it, and I will never think any less of you. You are stronger than I could ever be, in all ways. You have been put under the weight of humanity's survival. I will continue to be your friend, no conditions. You may do as you please, it isn't my decision to make for you. No matter what happens, I'll be around for you." I offered him my biggest, loving smile. It almost felt like I was letting this feeling go to just float in the back of my heart.

It wasn't worth the hassle or pain anymore. I was just thankful to have him as a friend.

"I hurt you, for a long time and you're letting me go without any repercussions? Why... Why do you never hate me?" He asked, casting his gaze to the dark horizon.

"What do you mean?" I inquired, missing the true implication and meaning of his question.

"Why are you so kind? I have killed people. I was prepared to kill you if you stood in my way. I – we – weren't worthy of your... Friendship." That's all he said, refusing to expose himself more. I didn't push either. This was all about comfort and talking things out.

"Levi, calm down. I don't care who you've killed or who you came up here to kill. I've said that before I believe. It's the past, and this is now. You are, and always, will be worthy of happiness and friendship, no matter what you have done. As much as you want to believe you're a horrible person, you're not. All that matters to me is what you do in the present. Nothing else. I will listen to you talk about your past because it has made you into the sarcastic, sassy, harsh, unsocial, and caring man that I love. You may come across like a cruel and cold person, but deep down, you have a heart of gold. I will listen to it all, because you matter to me." I tucked my knees up under my chin and looked out at the same horizon, now illuminated by the moon.