Chapter 62: Deeper Meanings

Warning: threats and description of active anxiety.

* * * * * * * * * *

Tension as thick as the walls took hold of the air and grew out like a giant tree's roots in the course of two seconds. My team had fled for some reason I couldn't manage to think of.

"I'm sorry, Captain. I-I don't know how I -" Eren started from behind me. I could tell he had turned to say his piece, only to falter at the gazes trained on him.

This was the first time the Squad's had seen Eren transform in the slightest.

"The situation is complicated. Now, calm down." Levi commanded strictly, a hand held out to his comrades. I had a shaking hand on one of my handles, prepared to defend Eren despite the stinging pain I was in.

I had both first degree and second degree burns it seemed. Then again, I had no time to properly check myself.

Their weapons were drawn and I was hesitant to draw mine. If I did the hostility would likely set them off. With that in mind I kept the handle and the attached blade in the slotted compartment.

"Eren, stay still and stay calm." I softly commanded, feeling my throat burn slightly as I spoke to him. It was horrible.

"Eren! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Eld roared furiously. I felt my body twitch with the urge to hide in response and scowled with disgust.

I hate this but I have to keep a level head. If I lose my composure it will reflect poorly on me and Levi.

"Sir, please." Eren begged, wishing Eld would listen, but his plea feel on deaf ears.

"No one gave you permission to transform, did they?!" Eld pressed aggressively.

"I said calm down-"

"Answer the question, Eren! What got into you?!" Oluo cut Levi off and anger flooded my system.

"Leave it. Explanations can come later. First things first, you need to persuade us you're not hostile like your life depends on it! Prove it or we'll kill you! The burden of proof is yours, kid!" Gunther hissed from somewhere behind me to the left.

"How is he going to persuade you if you don't let him?! You want hostility? I'll show it to you if you keep running your mouth!" I spat mercilessly, preparing to draw my blade from it's slot.

Levi's left arm shot out in front of me to stop my movements, eliciting a growl from me.

I'm in pain you asshole, do not make me go feral on your ass. You're already on my shit list.

Logically, I knew Levi was trying to de-escalate the situation and I wasn't helping matters. I knew they were just scared. However, I was in too much pain to spare any feelings of care and they were not responding appropriately to this misunderstanding.

Their jumps to conclusions and refusal to hear Eren out combined with my pain and already simmered anger was making me unpredictable.

"So much as twitch an arm and I'll love your head off!" Oluo called from in front of me, ripping my attention from Gunther, and placing it on him. "This is the first and only warning you'll receive! I can end you in a heartbeat! Do you understand me, boy?!"

"Oluo! How many times do I need to say it-"

Again Levi was cut off, this time by Petra. I felt myself drop to the grass, my legs too weak and strained to hold me upright. Levi dropped his arm and I sighed helplessly. In the end, I couldn't help here, my body was refusing to work.