Chapter 27: Erwin's Enlightenment

Warning: Levi falls into depression somewhere near the end.

* * * * * * * * * *

The next morning I rose to the sound of birds chirping. My muscles protested and my rib hindered my breathing. I stretched, turned, and placed my feet on the cold floor.

Every morning, without fail, it's cold.

A sudden knock on my office door made me glare daggers at it through my open bedroom door.

"Can I just get time for myself other than sleep? It's all I ask! I just fucking woke up, and now, I probably have more work to do." I grumbled sassily. My body clumsily slipped out of bed and I walked out into my office. The sun hadn't reached over the wall yet, but the sky was painted the colors of a sunrise.

"Great, it's the crack of dawn." I threw my hands out in frustration and cleared my throat.

"Name." I called out.

"Erwin Smith."

"Why the hell are you here this early?" My tired anger climbed it's way up my body and took root.

"It is a private matter. I would prefer to discuss it behind closed doors." He spoke calmly through the door and I rubbed my face with my hands.

"Am I allowed to get dressed first?" I sassed him and let out an annoyed huff.

Usually, I wouldn't be so cold towards him, but the shit he pulled really hurt me. You can be mad at your friends. That is a thing. Just as long as it's reasonable to be that way.

"I would imagine so." He seemed curious about my way of speaking. Did he really not know?

I walked back to my room and yanked some casual clothes out of my dresser. It consisted of a new wrap for my chest, a white button up shirt, and a light pink pleated skirt. I pulled it all together with my pair of black flats.

Once I was finished dressing myself- and taking care of my hygiene-, I walked over to my door and opened it for Erwin to walk through. Once he was inside I shut the door and crossed my arms.

"Well?" I questioned impatiently, staring at my friend.

"First of all how are you doing, physically?"

"Bruised." I stated blandly. He seemed unfazed by my attitude, but I didn't care.

"How about mentally and emotionally?" He asked, turning to face me. His eyes had worry in them, but I brushed it off.

"Tortured for mentally. Emotionally, I'm furious with you, angry at the titans, mourning the loss of my friends, fearing for my other friend's mental state, longing to return to my hobby, and hating the conflict I feel in here!" I jabbed a finger at my chest and pointed at him. "It's mostly because of you."

"How is it my fault?" He narrowed his eyes in confusion and I sighed.

"You expect everyone to get over things in a day, Erwin. All because of a pep talk. Yes, they are my friends, but because of you, they were there. When will you learn, that not everyone is like you? If you had told them, then they could have given you the opportunity to catch that fucking bastard together. Instead, you let me get attached, kept to yourself, and then they died. They would have helped you if it meant they got to live up here. That's all they wanted!" I marched over to Erwin and shoved him back into my desk.

"I get that you're torn up about this, but everyone has lost people." Erwin reminds, at a loss for words. For once in his life.

"Yes, we do! But I've never had people that close to me, actually die! I've lost many comrades just like you! This time I lost people that I earned as friends! You and Hanji just adopted me as your friend, and as things stand I am starting to wonder if you actually care!" I yelled at him and paced the room. If I could release my rage it would take the form of a giant snake ready to strike this man down.