Chapter 55: Convenient Problems

"Oh my Gosh! No way!" Petra squealed, bouncing around the room.

"Shh, keep your voice down Petra, please." I pleaded lacing my fingers together in a begging gesture.

I was about to explode from embarrassment at my own slip of the tongue.

I had been muttering about a plan to meet my mother when Petra walked in and heard me.

That lead to gossiping about a certain incident that occurred earlier this evening.

"I can't believe it! Was he really that gentle?" Her cheeks flushed red as she fantasized about someone. I couldn't get angry at her; she was thinking of someone else due to her facial expression.

Turns out, venting to another girl about relationships and love is a dangerous topic. Especially if they know who your love interest is.

"You fantasizing about a certain copycat?" I asked smugly, a smirk took hold over my features as I watched the girl sitting across from me on her bed.

A pink color drifted over her cheeks before fading away as she patted them down.

"No! He's arrogant and inconsiderate." She turned her head away in frustration and denial.

She's interested.

"All remarks aside, I think you and Oluo would be a good couple. He really does like you. He's not all that bad, but his problem with copying Levi bothers me." I shrugged and then stood from my bed to get my nightdress out of my neatly folded pile.

"You think so? So are you and the Captain official?" She asked standing as well to get herself changed. I didn't want her to see my back, so I held my dress to my chest.

"I do think so. Give Oluo a chance, maybe something good will come of it. To answer your next question, he said he'd ask my Mom for her blessing." I twirled my hair in my fingers and felt heat settle on my cheeks.

"To court you? Isn't that the father's job?" Anxiety spiked up to my chest, all the way from my bare feet. Her clothes ruffling told me she was getting changed, but her eyes remained on my back for a long time.

"My father isn't with us anymore. The responsibility falls to my mother now." It sounded like I was saying he was deceased. In a way, he was. It was simply better to put it that way. I turned to face her without a speck of remorse or sadness on my face.

"Oh... I'm sorry for your loss." She said, apologetically dipping her head towards the floor.

Petra's hair fell gracefully and her thin nightly clothing shifted with her body as she crossed her arms in front of her.

"Don't be sorry. I'm glad he's gone. He's an insignificant piece of shit." I growled out lowly, gripping my nightdress tighter against my chest. Warmth fled me and was replaced with disgust.

"Ah... I see. Well, do you plan on telling anyone else about this development?" Carefully, Petra watched me and my expressions as if I'd combust like a keg full of gunpowder.

"Maybe Hanji... No... She'd blab to everyone and I don't know if Levi wants this to be private or not. It's best if I wait for his lead on this." I felt my body relaxed before my head. Something about Petra was just so welcoming and soothing.

"Well, in relationships you should have some say. It isn't all about him now you know." She took a few steps back to her bed and got under the covers.

My father would disagree. To him, women are nothing but objects to discard. However... Levi is different.

"I know, but I want to leave him room to decide. After all, we've never been in this situation," I shifted on my feet and looked at the girl I now considered a friend. "It's like the first time encountering Titans - terrifying."