Chapter 34: Distance

I did a lot of digging for this fact. Turns out that Petra was set to marry Oluo. However, since her father only ever heard about Levi in her letters home, he assumed Levi was the man she intended to marry.

Also, this chapter is a bit sad.

* * * * * * * * * *

For a month after that, the questions in my mind ripped me apart.

Half of me desired to tell Levi how I felt, but I desperately feared his rejection in return.

So, instead I let it fester until now. That was a mistake. Especially since today, was another expedition. I decided today was the day to tell him, of all fucking days.

I walked outside with a supply crate in my hands. The heat of the sun beat down on me mercilessly.

As I set it down, Levi and his freshly assembled Special Operations Squad walked out of HQ. Petra Ral, Oluo Bozado, Eld Jinn, and Gunther Shultz.

Petra, a strawberry headed girl with amber eyes, specialized in assist kills.

Her annoying and stuck up partner, Oluo looked like and acted like a poor copy of Levi. He had ashy blonde hair styled in an undercut, and he wore a cravat. He tried to imitate Levi, but honestly, it got on all our nerves.

I believe it was to get Petra to like him more, but it tended to irritate her sometimes. The fact that she liked Levi more was enough to put me in a place of discomfort.

I set the crate down and peeked inside spotting all of my medical supplies.

"Good, all of it is here." I whispered, planting a hand on my chest.

"Tch. Why do you look so pale, brat? You better not be sick."

"Gah! Levi!" I practically jumped out of my skin and away from him. I looked at him and took a deep breath.

"So, are you sick?" He asked staying in the place he was when he spoke.

Of course he had crept up beside me.

"No. It's just stress." I said with a smile of reassurance. Deep inside I prayed he'd take the bait. What I said wasn't a lie, but internal struggle can be easy to hear.

"Good. Now, why are you so jumpy?" He prodded in curiosity.

Tell him, now.

"Anxiety. Something is off about this expedition too. We have everything here, but I feel like I need to bring something else." I scratched the back of my neck and looked at Levi. My heart was pounding with panic that he'd find out how I felt about him.

I could barely read him, so the possibility of losing him for a friend was terrifyingly realistic. There were many possibilities I had cooked up over time.

Unfortunately, if I kept this to myself I could end up causing a massive amount of damage.

I feel like I'm suffocating.

"Well, try to pull yourself together. We can't afford to lose you because your mind is in a different place." He said coldly. I gulped and opened my mouth as he turned to walk away.

"Levi! I... Uhm..." I reached out and pulled my hand back.

Stop! You moron.

"We don't have all day to stand around. Speak." He ordered, softening his tone. It still sounded cold in my mind. He turned back around to face me.

Instantly what I intended to say shriveled up and died.

"Please be careful out there." I smiled and watched as his expressionless face broke slightly.