Chapter 43: Here's the Plan

"While I am amused by your enthusiasm, I do not recommend you jump in there without a solid solution to the problem at hand." His gruff voice sounded out quietly from the shadows of the building I just jumped down from.

"With all due respect, sir. I wasn't going to do anything rash or over the top. You're soldiers are wildly out of hand with their hastiness in this situation. Due to cannon fire, many citizens and soldiers in the city have started to panic. This won't look good on you if you or I stand here and wait." I returned, removing his hand and arm from my body.

"You may be right about that. However, if you step in now you may make things worse. I intend on stopping him from firing again, but I will not stop him from expressing himself." Commander Pixis smiled at me and I shuddered.

It wasn't a bad or evil smile, it just held a double meaning. Interest and anger.

"Nor will I, but this has already gone far enough. You have to know that. You're far from stupid you old fox." I teased slightly watching as he closed his eyes and let out a puff of laughter.

The soldier behind him looked less amused-- more like annoyed actually. Like I gave a shit.

"True, true. Now, I'll let you have a chance to snap at the man if you'd like, he will be reprimanded by me as well, but I'm sure you have been through enough today that he is bothering you indirectly." He said in response, his voice was low and calm now allowing me to feel slightly better.

"Even if you hadn't allowed me, I would have scolded him for his stupidity." I sassed him and looked away. The presence of authority grew as he became more formal. It felt like a more matured version of Erwin's authority.

"You sure are a fiery girl aren't you? Like a dog in a cage waiting for a command." He shot out quietly and almost condescendingly while I surveyed the smoke and titan body for movement. There was none, but the amount of steam increased like it was deteriorating.

"If you are trying to display your power over me it won't work, I'm not your dog to control. You aren't my Commander and I'm not your piece to play. I'm not trying to put your authority in the ground so don't go around trying to undermine my intelligence." I hissed looking back at him. Shock and amusement lined his face and he gave me a kinder smile.

"Calm down my dear, no need to bare your teeth and growl at an old man."

"Old? Yes. Stupid? No. You knew what you were doing. Don't pretend Commander Pixis." I scolded quietly.

Snapping came from the disappearing shell of the titan and a part of it fell to the ground sending dirt and steam in our direction.

"I see Erwin keeps well trained soldiers at his beck and call." Pixis stated bluntly making sure the comment drove a spike into my already faltering nerve.

I was growing tired of his small taunts and jabs to see how much I could take. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

You see, Dot Pixis was a drunkard with multiple other problems. Flirting on women, joking, and being a professional at playing dumb to get information he wanted. In and out the man was a fox. His appearance said otherwise, but he knew just how to get things done.

He only wanted to see if I was fit for action currently. If I could think rationally or explode. I wouldn't let him know just how bad my head was. On top of that, I wouldn't insult the man just because I could. He'd have to be more direct in order to get it in return.

Until then it was a bouncing game.

"He does. We are rational thinkers with a level head and a realistic as well as hopeful perspective. I don't see that here, Commander." I subtly bit back as more pieces of the titan body fell.