Chapter 50: Saved by Blood

Welcome to chapter 50. Thanks for sticking around this long!

If you're interested read the footnote at the end, if not that's fine too.

* * * * * * * * * *

At first, I had no idea why Erwin had arrived later then Levi and I; then, I thought about it.

When he arrived it was just a little after Pixis showed himself in the courtroom. Suspicious, right?

You may be wondering - Olivia, why bring this up now when he's been here for a while just like Pixis?

Well, to be honest I think he was talking to Pixis. It could have been about many things, but maybe Erwin was getting information or giving it.

Not the best thought, but Pixis was and always has been a neutral party.

It's a risky move, but Pixis also knows what really matters at the end of the day - humanity's survival.

Logically, it was safe to assume he was on our side in this fight. I could only hope I was correct. That is if Erwin mentioned the plan or idea.

I doubt he did.

I don't think anyone else knew that he conversed with Pixis before this. Everyone was focused on what's happening right now, except for me.

"Best of luck." Hanji's voice caught my attention as two MP's brought Eren in before us and behind civilian seats. Eyes turned to look at him from the other side of the large courthouse.

Opposite of the Scouts and Garrison, stood the Military Police backed by two rows as well as a balcony of Church supporters and Cultists.

Between us was a large opening bordered by a sturdy wooden fencing of sorts. It was more refined.

A long metal pole consisting of two parts sat in the center of the clearing.

"All right. Move it!" One of the guards behind Eren shoved him forward using the barrel of his rifle aggressively.

Eren's worried eyes scanned the room as they took him to the pole and separated the parts from one another.

When his eyes landed on me I tried to pour some gentle warmth into my eyes as an attempt to comfort him. For the moment, it worked, but it would fail later.

"On your knees. Now!" The male on the far side of Eren commanded nervously, earning a small side glare from the brunette.

Upon compliance, they made sure the two separate parts of the pole locked his restraints in place, with limited mobility.

As a person familiar with being on my knees most of my life, I knew how uncomfortable he had to be.

Erwin shifted on Levi's left and I shifted uncomfortably on his right, trying clumsily to keep a blank face.

Rather than stare at Eren, I watched the Cultists sweating under their ceremonial garb nervously.

Everyone but the Scouts and Garrison were sweating bricks. If this wasn't an official occasion, Levi probably would have scoffed at them.

He never passed up the opportunity to scorn the cowardly, rich, or stupid. So, he was likely internalizing his disgust.

I loved him for it. His dry, crude, and sarcastic humor made me laugh without fail.

A door opening and closing from the front of the room told me that the one and only Dahlias Zachary had arrived. I held my gaze in his direction calmly while he sat down and removed his jacket.

"All right. Shall we begin?" His deep voice resonated through the silent room as he adjusted his glasses and looked at some documents he had on his bench.