Chapter 23: Expedition Part 5

We carried on our way through the endless fields of grass and occasional batch of giant trees.

We had butchered five other titans today, and lost 10 brave lives in return.

It wasn't my favorite trip to the ruins, but it was close and could house the whole regiment plus half of another.

The sights on the way were nothing to scoff at either. When the sun settled across the valley the sky was painted a beautiful deep orange, pink, and purple.

Despite the threats we faced out here, it was still my most treasured moment of the expeditions we went on.

Just like now, the sky was coloring itself in the gorgeous colors of nightfall. A breath pushes itself out of me as the whole formation approaches the ruins.

"The sky is so pretty." Isabel cooed with soft eyes and a giant smile.

"It's the prettiest out here with no walls to block it." I said tenderly holding a soft smile on my face.

"Don't get distracted. We may be close to our outpost, but that doesn't mean shit." Flagon said firmly, suggesting that he was tired of our meaningless conversations.

"Flagon, give it a rest will you? They saved our asses today. The least you can do is show a little decorum and respect." I groaned and rolled my eyes in annoyance. He was right, titans could be silently waiting to pounce. You never know out here. However, he didn't need to repeat it constantly.

"I don't care who they are, or how good of skills they possess, they are still criminals." Flagon mumbled as the whole formation slowed to a mere walk. The ruins were now before us.

Unlike Utgard Castle this one was a whole building surrounded by crumbling stone walls.

The courtyard itself wrapped the building and instead of a pair of towers it had small outposts on all four sides. Unfortunately, it was falling apart.

The only time it was safe to stand guard was night time and early morning, and that was reserved for the spotting line. They were the best at spotting titans.

"We're going to stay in this dump?" Isabel asked with a small hint of resentment. Levi growled inspecting the walls as our ranks poured into the ruins.

"They're making good use of these old castle ruins. The wall certainly looks old and reliable but it won't hold against a titan attack. It should be fine for a night though." Farlan reasoned with her and then looked at the castle that we would take refuge in.

"That's right! The titans aren't active at night!" Isabel recalled with renewed excitement, hopping off her horse.

We all did the same and tied our horses to both posts, and in the stables. We had to keep them secured or else they'd wander off into the wilderness.

"This is still their territory, so stay sharp." Levi reminded his friends quickly and tied his horse up as well.

"Levi's right. Always expect the unexpected." I looked at Isabel and Farlan with cautious eyes.

I watched as they walked away, but I slipped out beyond the walls for one last glance at the sky.

It was a risk, but I loved the sunset.

"Squad Leader Strauss, get inside the ruins. It is important that you are safe and sound." A fellow scout said, interrupting my peace.

From their looks alone I knew who it was. Arlo Shultz, a vanguard unit scout, 19, red hair, and brown eyes. As far as personality went, I had no true say. I only knew his name, age, and appearance. Beyond that- no clue who he was.