Chapter 7: Midnight Mare

It had taken a while in that field, Isabel had found her partner easily. A beautiful, grey, male, thoroughbred had nudged her with it's snout and that was it. She was sold on becoming the white maned male's friend.

Why? Don't ask me, I had no idea how natural these things could be.

Farlan took about the same time as, settling for a chestnut bay. It was another male, but it was gentle and all it did was lay down next to Farlan. Boom, instant understanding.

Chestnut thoroughbreds have no black hairs on them and are a light brown with a few red hairs scattered in their coat. It was suited to Farlan well as far as appearances went. Attitude wise, I would say it ranked 6/10. Farlan was easygoing, smart, and kind. Or, so it seemed, but his selected partner liked to sleep frequently.

After that, the turn fell to Levi. He looked incredibly bored with the process, probably because he saw no true use at first. He had a rope in his hand just as the others did. I decided to walk away and get Galileo, my white thoroughbred while he stood there stubbornly.

White is a rare for our types of horses, and as far as I know Erwin and I are the only ones with that color. When Galileo is geared up, I climb on and lead him out to the pasture where Levi is still standing.

What was he doing? This isn't just a stand and wait thing.

"This is a waste of time. We have Maneuver Gear for a reason." He scoffs showing that he is completely irritated. Galileo nuzzles into Levi's back and lets out a soft whinny of content. Levi jolted forward due to the force of the snout in his back. Leave it to a horse to tell you what you need to do next.

"Yeah, but out there is a flat land for miles. Horses are the best chance of getting home. No one has ever escaped titans on foot." I remind him quickly, not wanting to lose his interest.. He whipped around to face Galileo and I with an irked expression. Talk about a temper.

Galileo raised his head to a loud, neigh coming from the distance.. It too, caught my attention and my heart began to race a my eyes landed on a sleek midnight black mare. Black thoroughbreds are extremely rare as they are often confused with a dark bay or a dark chestnut. This one in particular was the only one in our herd, and she was extremely aggressive. Even Erwin dared not disturb her peace.

She was looking directly at us from the top of a small hill, barring an angry face. Levi, was staring back with his usual expressionless face. However, looking closer at his eyes would tell me a different story. He was in awe of this mare even if she was furious.

"She is the only one here that is pure black. Not only that but her temper is a problem." Galileo backed away from Levi as the mare stomped her hoof into the dirt. It was a warning, she was going to charge at us.

For a moment they just stared at each other one furious, and the other curious. With a loud snort she barreled towards us. Galileo moved us out of the way instinctively and immediately to avoid the oncoming danger. He was always the best about keeping me out of harms way, no matter what it was. It is why I picked the gentle giant.

"Levi! Move!" I screamed out with fear. Holy shit! He isn't moving, why?!

Levi stood his ground in front of the rampaging mare with no signs of moving. Her hooves thumped against the ground harshly as she ran full speed at him. Panic flooded my system as she closed in on his location.

Levi's eyes narrowed on her form, bringing her to a screeching halt right before him. Her head was no more than a foot from his, and she was breathing heavily. Anger swam in her eyes because of the fearless man before her. Then the anger turned to shock and confusion.

'A strange creature is standing in your way, huh? What are you gonna do now, gorgeous?' His eyes said tauntingly. It was amusing to see their interaction as a whole.

It was obvious that she didn't want to hurt Levi, instead she only wanted to scare him, but that didn't go according to her plan. He held out a hand and waited for her to make the first move.

I was thoroughly impressed with their stillness. Would she let him in, or would she attack? What should I do? Stay or go? Stay or go? I think I'll stay.

She didn't move for a while, and neither did Levi. They were checking each other out with steady gazes and silence.

Hesitantly, she nudged his hand with her snout and stomped the soft ground down with a powerful stroke of her leg. It was a sign of her acceptance, even if it was reluctant.

Now it was time to bring her in, but it was all on Levi to do it.

"You have to take her to the stables, get her saddled, get her used to you, and then get her registered." I said clicking and pulling the reins towards the middle of the field. Galileo started to move due to my soft command.

"How the fuck do I do that?" He hissed from a short distance behind me.

"Simple, lead her by tying the rope loosely around her neck, register her by talking to Flagon, he will do the paperwork and take it to the Commander, then get her saddled you'll have help, and after that get her used to you by riding her our here. I will teach you since the rest of your squad is spread out and helping Isabel and Farlan in separate places." I spilled ceaselessly.

That was right, Isabel was off with one of the girls of the group getting used to her horse, and Farlan was even further away doing the same thing.

"You talk too much." He grunted, tossing the rope over the mare's neck.

"You asked. Don't be so sour, Levi. The ladies won't like it." I pulled on the reins and turned my head to face the now incredibly small man below. Something stopped me from saying anything else.

His face was painted red in both anger and embarrassment.

"Tch, I don't care. I-I wouldn't be interested anyway. You all babble too much." He growled leading his new partner away.

Shock filled me. Not because of what he said or how blunt it was. It was the color that stained his face and the stutter that spilled from his lips. He actually felt something and it showed on his face.

That was the moment I knew, I wanted to see it again. I wanted to see him show emotion again.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the kind I was hoping for.