Chapter 72: Core Feelings

Warning: hard feelings are involved.

* * * * * * * * * *

Exhaustion plagued me after I delivered those letters.

Defeat had taken over my heart and grief weighed on my mind.

"So my daughter is dead? My baby is gone?"

Petra's father sounded betrayed and gutted. I didn't know what to say other than a small yes, sir. He went silent and distant for a moment after that and then looked at me and Levi.

"It was your job to protect her as Captain. It was your job! And you! You're a medic! Why couldn't you do anything?!"

I said nothing, and neither did Levi, as the man wept. I felt tears sting my eyes when I was standing before him.

Then he said something I didn't expect as we were dismissing ourselves. He had read the letter by then.

"Regardless of how horrible it was, I'm glad she wasn't alone. Thank you."

What saddened me most, was the fact that her body was left behind, explained by Levi, who saw everything while I was unconscious.

A lot happened while I was out and Levi didn't spare my feelings while telling me what happened.

In a way, it was endearing. He never lied to me, even if it hurt me.

I treasured, and still treasure, the truth even if it hurts.

The next house we hit was Oluo's. A slightly thicker woman and an older man met us at the door. The elderly looking man looked like he already knew, but his wife looked hopeful.

I had presented the letter to them and watched as the mother came crashing down emotionally.

It had the same effect as an arrow through my heart.

"My son mattered, yes? He fought hard, right? He made a difference?"

Again, all I could do was agree and say yes. To all her questions. To say no, would have broken her. Not like I ever would have said no.

She crumbled to the floor after that, and we left. Levi stayed silent with the exception of his pinky wrapped around mine and a small whisper of assurance every once in a while.

"Eld... Died?"

His family had a numb reaction. Shock and dread had set into their bodies and no other words would help.

I knew that more than they knew.

When we had arrived at Gunther's family home, they accepted the letter, thanked us emptily and shut the door.

They knew.

On the way to my team's houses, Levi did his best to stop my tears, but it was pointless. They came anyway, without consent or restraint.

Cole's and Benjamin's family let us in with open smiles. Those were quickly wiped away once they read the note. Their mother went silent. Their father just stared.

I didn't even register the sting in my left cheek until Mrs. White started screaming foul curses at me. Levi tried to put himself in-between us, but I stopped him.

"You were their Captain!!! Why weren't you with them?!?! My boys didn't deserve to die!! You're a monster just like the Titans. I hope you die!"

She ended up giving me a split lip a red mark on my cheek, and more damage to my ribs.

I deserved every bit of it.

When we showed up at Akita's and Ollie's family home, their father and mother opened the door for us. Hesitantly, I stepped inside and got slammed into by a child.