Chapter 12: Assessment

WARNING: ABUSIVE FLASHBACK. This may be triggering to some readers, so please avoid prolonged italics in the chapter if that is the case for you. If you require assistance of getting out of an abusive situation, please contact a hotline or the police. You matter. Stay safe.
Also, I am aware Levi had his lovely cravat at the initiation part, just wanted to make things play out longer by having him get it later.

* * * * * * * * * *

It's interesting how time just flies by when you're having a good time.

Like now for example, I was running and actually enjoying it. I've never liked it before, so why start now?

It was almost lunch time, but I was still running strong around the field.

Shaky legs? Nope.

Labored breathing? Cross that off too.

Dizziness? Non-existent.

Sweat? Not a fucking drop.

I must say, I hate my father, but thank the walls he put me through that hell as a kid. It gave me almost unlimited stamina. However, eventually it does run out.

"Sister Liv, how have you not collapsed? You haven't eaten at all!" Isabel's voice almost stopped me, but the orders were still present.

"I'm used to that honestly! How's Levi's cleaning coming along? Are you guys ready for your Assessment?" I called out to her turning left on the well worn path.

"He's done! The whole place is spotless! Also, I'm not, but I'm going to give it my all!" She yelled across the field. Soon she came into view. Cherry hair and blue eyes both shining in the sunlight.

"That's the spirit! Remember, keep your eyes open, those dummies we have come out of nowhere! Where's Farlan?" I ran in place as I reached the spot ten feet before her. She was a lovely girl really. Energetic, hot-headed, kind, and loving. I liked her a lot already.

"Oh! He's talking to a squad member on the lumber pile! Why do we have that?"

"We have it for breaks and for training too. We sometimes run a course with obstacles in the way." It was at that point I noticed a bag in her hand. Apparently she noticed me looking and held out the small cloth sack.

"Levi told me you weren't allowed to take breaks for food, so I brought the food to you." I ran and took the soft bag from her.

As far as I was concerned, she was a friend. No, a sister, one that actually cared.

"Thank you. Go now so you don't face the wrath of the Commander." I tried shooing her away but she stayed put stubbornly.

"Nah, Levi is scarier than that old man any day. First time we met he nearly sliced a man's fingers off because he soiled his pure white shirt. Claimed he'd get him dirty. It was awesome." She smiled and watched as I ate and ran in place.

After I swallowed a chunk of bread I responded.

"Seems like you look up to him a lot."

"He's the family Farlan and I never had. Seems to me like he is coming around to liking you too! He's a bit colder than most people, but he really does care. I hope you take care of each other." She planted her hands on the railing and I finished the small half loaf of bread that was given to me.

"I don't know about him, but I will try my best. You three are growing on me. I don't hate it, the only three people that are relatively close to me here are Erwin, Hanji, and Mike." I watched her reaction to Erwin's name and noticed that she shifted nervously.