Chapter 2: Facing the Day

I woke up with a rush. My body sitting upright in my bed, hand over my chest. Looking around I found my candles to be burned halfway already. It wasn't like I didn't have oil lamps, they just took money we couldn't spare in the Survey Corps.

That nightmare is one that haunts me constantly. It was like every time I slept it came for me.

Tossing my sheets aside, I slid out of bed. Today was the day three new people were said to be joining us, but I am not interested in something so small. Erwin was the one to go after them in the first place.

Since I am the field medic with a side hobby, I had more important shit to do. It mostly included paperwork over casualties, medical supplies used, medical supplies needed, injuries sustained, treatment, and just about anything done in my infirmary.

That's right, I had a special spot in the infirmary. After my schooling in medicine, surgery, simple sickness, and anything else, I joined the Survey Corps. They instantly put me to work in the only medically reserved building they had.

My parents told me it was a waste of time, but I ignored them. The problem is that people lost their lives and could have been saved.

So, I joined at age 15, and eventually ended up being the leader of the infirmary staff. The only difference is, I don't stand by all the time. I get to leave on expeditions with the rest of the soldiers to help prevent as many casualties as possible.

Besides myself, there are five other people in my group. Five people that take care of the injured and crippled soldiers. Patsy Herman, a 50 year old nurse, stays in the infirmary due to her age. Akita Long, a 20 year old apprentice, is learning from both me and Patsy. Ollie Long, Akita's 25 year old brother, is also an apprentice that mostly sticks with his sister. Cole White, at age 19, is like our hyper energetic pet that keeps the atmosphere in the room light. Finally, Benjamin White, Cole's 30 year old brother, is the only one that causes me to feel a little uncomfortable with his attempts at gaining my attention.

Regardless of their diversity, all of them were exceptional medics. Hell, I am 20 and Patsy tightened my screws so I wouldn't lose my nerve on the battlefield.

On a good expedition, the max that come into our care are 20-25 soldiers. On bad ones, there are many more.

My feet led me to my lovely bathroom so that I could get a shower in.

When you think shower, it is hot and lovely. Unfortunately some of the members in the Survey Corps don't get that luxury. It is usually reserved for colder months of the year.

I pull my nightgown off quickly along with what decent undergarments I have on.

I yank the chain and jump into my little space, being quick to rub suds into my hair and body as the cold water fell across my body.

No luxury here. Others take longer in the bathroom. I usually take a military, three minute, shower. There was just too much to do.

When my shower time was up I hopped out snatched a long thin line of white cloth and wrapped my chest so my breasts are incapable of moving while I train. Then I pulled on decent cloth underwear. It isn't much, but it will have to do. Other women use a type of bra that holds things together tightly. I just found those to be more uncomfortable.

My legs took the lead to my dresser and I pulled on my light, lilac purple, button up shirt and white uniform pants. Once that is done I put thin socks on my feet in order to spare the amount of sweat that will gather in my boots later. It is crucial to keep your feet dry on the field.

If not, there is a high chance your feet could rot. Trench foot, I like to call it.

Then comes the complex part of my dressing. Belts and straps galore. The harness is quite possibly the messiest part of this uniform.