Chapter 1: Nightmare Central

The funny thing about death is that it snaps literally everything else into perspective. Take right now for an example.

Run! Run faster! Don't you dare fucking stop!

My horse is gone, gas is out, and blades are short. I am surrounded by six titans, ranging from six meters all the way to fourteen.

My lungs are burning with the need for more air. The one goal that is set in my mind was to escape. Nothing else mattered at this very moment.

My legs protesting under the stress of running for so long? Nope, doesn't matter.

My heart pounding in my chest from fear? Ignored.

The tears of pain due to my losses? I could suck it up later.

My only concern now, was putting distance between me and those man eating freaks. God, the world we live in is such a fucking nightmare.

I had already lost it all; yet, my body was still pushing ahead. That is until one of their disgustingly large hands grabbed my small body and squeezed in a moment of distraction.

The pain matches no other in this world other than the devastating feeling of loss. See? That snaps everything into perspective.

My ribs were crushed within seconds, but I still fought. My hands wiggled down to feel the hilt of my blades.

With my remaining strength I sliced through the titan's fingers, and fell back to the forest floor.

Moving after that felt like a task I could not perform, and it made me despise my weakness. This is not the situation any soldier wants to be in.

Everyone had left me here after we had all taken a critical blow in numbers.

It felt surreal. All of it. As I whistled for my horse, another large hand smacks me to the side. Breathless, and weightless is the description of the moment. Had I been paying attention again this wouldn't have happened. Unfortunately, my mind is being overrun with panic.

The weightlessness was only liberating for so long, before pain crashed through me like a vicious stampede. Talk about being weak.

It took my breath away and left me cold on the forest floor. Thuds and shakes told me all I needed to know. They were all closing in. I was going to be torn apart limb from limb here in just a moment.

The worst part was, there was no hero to save me. That is just how my world works. It is cruel and dark no matter what I do. No one was coming back.

Not my squad, not my Commander, no one.

I was on my own. If only I could fly away like a bird.

My body trembled and ached as I rose to my feet. Blood, dripping from my mouth and nose. Ribs, crushed and probably causing internal bleeding.

This is where I die. This is it. No legacy, no life.

My only thoughts...

Did I dedicate my heart enough?

Did I help humanity?

Will my sacrifice matter?

God, why was the world so cruel? I never got an answer to that question, even as a young girl living in an outlier district.

A seven meter titan's firm grip resumes around me and I choke out a sob I never knew my self to be capable of. It was forced, painful, strangled, and muffled by the blood in my mouth.

I wanted to fight more, to see the world further beyond the walls. Further beyond any of us have ever traveled.

I wanted to make new teas, new things, and new friends. My arms struggled with prying it's large fingers from my body.

Eventually I got it to work, but my gear is crushed brutally in return.

Back to square fucking one!

No blades, no gas, no horse. Shit luck.

Not only that, metal from the crushed gear is now imbedded in different places of my body.

My sides are impaled with what were the blade slots and leftover blades. My hooks are dragging behind me as I cough and limp away.

My energy was significantly drained from the second encounter. If I am caught again, there is no escaping.

They left me alone for a moment. Torture. Like a cat to a mere bug.

It is odd how things can turn out so shitty. In fact, this whole world is Hell.

What was it that even kept me here? Oh yeah! My friends.

The only thing keeping me going were the friends in my heart.

It took a lot for me to like them. To be frank, they were different.

No one could beat them when it came to uproars and chaos.

Will they even miss me? Hanji and Erwin, I mean.

Hanji was my chaotic bestie in all situations. Erwin was a man burdened with a drive and responsibility that never should have been placed so heavily upon his shoulders. However, get that man tipsy and all hell breaks loose. It doesn't happen often, but he can tell jokes until the sun rises.

Hot breaths warmed my cooling body from behind. Ears straining; I can hear horse hooves beating on the forest floor.

They were coming back for me. Shame, they'd be too late.

Just like that my legs gave way, and my hands met with cold hard dirt and damp grass.

Everything is fading out for me, but that was okay. I had done enough.

One day, we would be free of this hell. One day, there would be no worry to walk through the endless stretch of grasslands.

It is a shame, I would not be around to see it.

The hard grasp of a large hand grips my torso once more and lifts me into the air.

There are no words to describe the pain of being crushed by an emotionless monster more than double your size.

First it starts off as a stinging and burning pain. However, that is quickly replaced by a sharp stabbing pain that takes your breath away. You are stuck, not being able to breathe as your own bones collapse in your body.

After that, comes dizziness, darkness, and finally the sweet release of being numb.

There is no heed to the yelling of distressed people. There is no seeing your own demise coming from a twisted face.

There is no one pulling that one last Hoo-rah! It's just you against the biggest odds in the world.

There is no feeling.

There is absolutely nothing, and that feeling itself... Is absolute heaven.