Chapter 58: Written Pain

Warning: This chapter has some sensitive topics for some people. Proceed with caution. In addition, strong language.

* * * * *

Entry 1

The first time my father made it a point to make my life a living hell was when I was old enough to form a sentence.

Five.

He started his lessons early in the morning and made me run in an empty patch of land until my legs gave out.

If I threw a tantrum or resisted him he taught me that I'd get hit in response.

It wasn't ever too hard to knock me out, but it taught me pain, and that crying was a one way ticket to it.

He told me after each time I cried that it was a sign of weakness. He told me that he was making me strong and that he was the only one that really loved me.

I didn't understand it. Though.. it did make sense. The world is a harsh place, he was making me stronger for it.

Why?

I don't know what he was preparing me for. All I understood at that time was that my father was harming me because of an invisible enemy.

I still don't know what that enemy is.

Should I visit him?

My hand stopped writing and I set the quill back into the ink pot to glance over the first page I had filled.

This was easier than I thought it would be, and maybe that was because I wasn't verbally expressing it. However, this was just the start of the day.

I had gotten everything a normal person does in the morning, done. The sun was just barely peeking over the wall, and I was the first one awake in the room.

As if to prove that, Petra snorted softly and twitched in her sleep beside me from a few feet away.

How she slept so easily was something I envied but never voiced. It would be incredibly petty to complain about. At least in our reality.

With a small puff of air, I closed the journal and put it with my things. Then, I thought about what I needed to do next.

Initiation was to take place in a few days so I had to clean and prepare rooms for recruits somewhere. Inspection of ODM gear was going on currently, and Levi had left to attend at Erwin's side. They didn't bother with inspecting me, seeing as Levi accounted for my whereabouts.

Nice of him, huh?

"GOOD MORNING!!!!" Hanji's voice boomed through the halls, ripping Petra from her sleep with a violent start. Fists at the ready and eyes blown wide.

Damn it all to hell. So noisy.

I marched over to the door and threw it open with wrathful intent.

"HANJI! SHUT UP!" Hearing the volume of my voice made my seriousness drop instantly and I felt myself bubble with laughter.

I didn't intend on being so loud, or high pitched. It was definitely amusing, but I kept my laughter contained for the time being.