Chapter 20: Expedition Part 2

Please give me feedback. Your opinion and thoughts are important. It also helps me stay motivated. Even if I adore this anime and it's characters.

* * * * * * * * * *

On the way through Trost district many things happened.

The first thing that happened, was seeing the construction of our new headquarters. It was a large building that would hold soldiers of all ranks. Horses were to be stored elsewhere though. It made me uncomfortable.

The next, was seeing my mother and sister in the streets with my father behind them. His hands were placed on their shoulders controllingly and his deep blue eyes were staring me down. It sent fear through me like our horses outrunning the titans.

"That's your family, isn't it, Brat?" Levi's chilling tone pulled me back to him, but I didn't dare look at him. My father would know that I held Levi as a more important being than him if I did that. I offered a soft hum in confirmation towards Levi.

I waved at them, before turning my attention away from them.

"Then he is the problem. Tch, men like them are repulsive and unsightly." He hissed cruelly. It made me face Levi as we kept travelling down the wide road on horseback.

"I didn't know you cared." I muttered sassily. He never really showed his emotions. Even if they were in his eyes, it was always difficult to tell which ones were above the rest.

"Then you are even more dense than Isabel." He scoffed and looked away from me. He didn't see it, but I smiled genuinely and looked to the sky. It was a silent thanks to whatever allowed Levi to care.

It was a large step to take.

"Wow! He never admits a friendship like that! Hell, Isabel and I just assume he is our friend. He hasn't protested, but he hasn't killed us either." Farlan nudged me on the shoulder, making me look at him.

Then this really is a big thing.

I carried my smile until we arrived outside wall Rose. Then things progressed into silent murmurs and conversations.

"So, Liv, tell us about the formation once more since one of us seems to lose the information." Farlan said after about an hour of slow travel.

"Okay, flares first. Red, means there has been a titan spotted. Black, means there has been an abnormal spotted. Purple, is for emergencies. It often means someone is in need of assistance or medical attention. Blue, is the order to retreat. Green, is used to signal the change of directions to avoid as many deaths and injuries as possible. Yellow, is a termination of the expedition. Whether it is good or bad, we leave. Acoustic rounds, are meant as a focus or a signal for nearby Scouts." I explained slowly. Isabel nodded in understanding from in front of me.

Technically, they could ask Flagon about the formation. Maybe they liked me more or something.

"Okay, then what about certain positions?" She asked hesitantly, as if I was irritated with her or something. A small puff of laughter escaped me and I leaned to pat her shoulder.

"I am sure Flagon will run you guys through the formation plan again. However, as a brief explanation, squads form into small groups within the formation and work together. We will be somewhere in the right flank of the formation, and there will be groups within eyesight around us. The Spotting squad rests in front of the Commander and spots the titans, shoots a flare, and allows the Commander to change our course. Support Squads, deal with the most combat. The Command Squad, judges the situation and chooses the best course of action. There is much more, but Erwin or flagon will tell you when we stop and set up camp." I said simply. Flagon shot me a nasty glare over his shoulder and I sneered as a return gesture.

"Wait, we are staying somewhere outside the walls? Isn't that risky?" Isabel spat out with a panicked look in my direction.

"It is, but we have outposts all over outside the walls." I shrugged submissively and closed my eyes. Galileo neighing in irritation brought them back down on his neck.

"Won't the titans swarm us at night?" Farlan whispered to me making Levi click his tongue.

"You don't have to whisper that. To answer your question, no. It seems that they sleep too. Research hasn't really been done on it though. However, Hanji wants to find out." I responded gently. The wind blew through the air, tugging on my hair that was resting in a ponytail.

"Who are your friends here?" Isabel asked curiously, twisting on her horse to face me. It shocked me, but her horse just kept going. There was no snort of protest or anything, just calm.

"Well, Hanji and Erwin are my closest. Now you guys. However, Mike Zacharias, the tall blond with a mustache and beard, is also my friend. We don't converse much though." I explained, pointing to the well built blond a few horses in front of us.

"Fucking bastard got me dirty." Levi spat furiously. His eyes were sharp like the very blades hanging from his waist.

"Oh? Was that when he caught you? He has yet to tell me how that went." I sighed, putting my right hand against my chin in thought.

"Tch, he was fucking extensive. That's how it went." Levi snapped at me with pure anger in his voice. He really had it out for my quiet friend. Mike was always silent and strong. He was the strongest in the Scouts. That spot was in danger now though.

"I'm sorry. He can be a little much at times, but he really means well." I looked at the raven haired male with a gentle smile, which he shot down with a glare.

"Well, in any case, why so little friends? You're so nice." Isabel mentioned lightly, resting her small hands on the butt of her horse to keep her upright.

So curious. So passionate.

"Well, I don't talk to people. I usually kept my head down until you guys were put into my life." I answered her, watching the people in front of me ride their steeds onwards in a small line.

"Well, screw those bastards that never came to talk to you." She huffed angrily. "They don't deserve you."

"You think we do?" Levi questions quickly. It came out sort of like a reminder to them. It put a damper on the atmosphere around us. So, I punched his shoulder.

That was a mistake, because a second later he hooked a fist into my stomach so fast that I couldn't see it. The moment it made contact with my stomach I keeled over against my horse and wheezed. For a moment, bile rose into my throat before I swallowed it down.

"Levi! You can't just hit our superior!" Farlan yelled quietly. He sounded so distant from my lack of focus. My stomach was aching and churning uncomfortably.

"She initiated it. I only finished the fight." He shot back proudly.

"Holy shit..." I wheezed out. "What are you?" I added weakly. Hey, if you got hit with a fist, baring the force of a charging horse you would be in my position too.

"A human." Levi replied smugly, with a soft click of his tongue.

Like hell you are. No man I know can hit that hard. Not even my father, and that is saying something because he hits hard. I thought absently as we reached Wall Maria, outside of Shiganshina.

"Funny." I said sarcastically, straightening my spine and resting one hand on my stomach.

Yeah, so funny.