Chapter 24: Expedition's End

Warning: heavy loss, kinda graphic, music makes it harder.

I didn't sleep well that night. The unexplainable fear gnawed at my insides until I could no longer sleep.

It woke me from sleep and kept me jumpy for the night until the sun peeked through a broken window.

"You're up early." A deep and familiar voice pulled me from my thoughts momentarily. I looked over my shoulder to catch Erwin towering over me.

"Something doesn't feel right about today. It's kept me up." I said, scratching my head.

"I see. Am I the first to know?" He asked, taking a seat beside me.

"Yes."

"Is there anything I can do?" He questioned gently.

This is why he was my friend. When not burdened by stress and work, Erwin was kind and loving. Kinda like a big brother. We clashed when he was cold and formal, but I still liked the giant.

"Just don't be inconsiderate. You always get that way when you are on an expedition. You're not wrong, you just lack kindness." I flopped back against the worn out cloth below me.

"I apologize. I had no idea. Truly. I tend to focus purely on my goals when on the field. I will do my best to lighten up." He looked down at me and patted my head. "Are you okay? I want to know you more but you keep to yourself."

"I'm fine. All you need to know is that I'm normal like most of you guys. I'm not special." I offered a smile that felt like it would fall off my face in mere moments.

"You know I'm not stupid, right? You don't need to fake a smile, I see your pain. I just wish you'd tell the people that care about you, the truth." He exhaled and watched me with sympathetic eyes.

"You may understand, but I don't need your sympathy. I have problems, but they aren't that bad." I let out a soft puff of laughter and look away from Erwin.

"Alright, well, since you're awake, do you wanna start waking others up. We need to go. Titans will be on us if we don't move." He reminded, making me look at the window.

I sat up faster than I ever have and started racing around waking anyone I could.

My body froze when it came to waking a certain ebony haired male. I gazed upon his body with careful eyes.

Levi was scrunched up into a fetal position much like a child. His face was relaxed and soft, which if I was honest, was a big change from the hard and stoic expression he usually carried. His breathing was even and soft proving to me that he is in a light slumber.

Black locks fell against his eyes and I shook my head, regaining focus.

"Levi." I shook his shoulder gently. That's all it took for him to open his eyes, grab my wrist, and twist it until I dropped to the ground.

Sharp pain erupted throughout my arm as he twisted more. I looked into his eyes, and they glared back with zero recognition. They were glazed over with sleep.

"Ah! Levi-bro, let go of sister Liv!" Isabel groaned and pried his hand away. Slowly, his eyes cleared and he yawned.

"Sorry, Squad Leader. Levi doesn't like being touched, nor does he get woken up like that." Farlan stepped in as I inspected my red and throbbing wrist.

It was already swelling and bruising. My logical conclusion, it would be a problem later.

"It doesn't matter now. We have to leave, so start getting ready." I ordered softly.

Damn it hurts!

* * * * * * * * * *

Once again we were on the move trying to get to another outpost. This time the formation was spread out fully and we were all keeping our eyes peeled.