Chapter 42: The Trio Reunites

Shock and pure confusion filled me as I looked down into the steam of the Abnormal's decaying body.

At the nape, there was movement I had never seen before. My eyes tracked it like a hawk to a mouse.

Armin, Mikasa, and a few others stood around to watch the pile of disintegrating flesh. Moments before, it was a Titan being eaten and still pushing through when faced with a challenge.

Others had taken off on my orders to scale the wall and get over it. So, only a few remained.

A gasp left my lips as Mikasa swooped down into the white clouds of heat and ran up to what looked like a boy.

I joined her on the ground and saw the one person, I thought I'd never see again.

Eren.

Mikasa grabbed onto him and then hastily put her ear up to his chest.

Tears pooled in her eyes as she heard what I could only assume was his heartbeat. The relief of him being alive crashed down on the poor girl and her cries filled the air.

I felt my heart twist like hers and smiled gently in understanding. She loved Eren deeply, and she had thought him to be dead.

Now, not only was he alive, but he was reunited with his friend Armin, and possible lover, Mikasa.

If only things were that simple. This kid would now have a target on his back. There was nothing I could do to help in this situation.

What would my comrades think of this?

Erwin would most likely see him as another pawn to play. A weapon for his desires, and all of our survival.

I embraced and rejected that idea at the same time.

Levi would likely be unresponsive, he wouldn't care either way. However, his trust in Erwin's judgement would be enough to sway him to Erwin's side.

Hanji would be ecstatic-- absolutely over the moon. She'd end up treating him like her babies.

I would do my best to shield him and his friends.

A thud beside me made me look at the source. Armin was standing there with a relieved look mixed with confusion and joy.

"How?..." He whispered out. I shook my head and scanned the area. There were no Titans now, but they'd come back. I knew it.

"Get him on top of the building. I am going to sweep the area." I commanded gently over to Armin. He nodded and walked over to Mikasa

My fingers fiddled with the smaller triggers to move things around before I pulled the trigger to eject the hooks into a couple houses. Next, I pulled the one for gas and felt my body lurch forward and into the air.

Calmly, I walked, ran, and jumped onto different roofs looking for more Titans and counting casualties on the way.

So far, I counted 25 bodies or what was left in just a small range around the base holding the Cadets. It was ugly, but it was reality.

I could only imagine how many more corpses we're out there. The Garrison wasn't built to take my Regiment's job. It was likely a profound number, even with me trying to help.

Who are you kidding? You've hardly been of any assistance.

A puff of air released from my nose in irritation. I was becoming increasingly less friendly. I could feel it in every fiber residing in my body.

Why today? Why did you all go on that reconnaissance mission?

I put my blades back in their slot and disconnected them. There was no point having them out when Titans were so far away.