Chapter 10: Possessions

I use a theory in this one. It isn't a solid fact that I know of.

Also, the art above is mine of Olivia. Don't claim it as your own, that's just disgusting. It took me 4 or more hours to make.

* * * * * * * * * *

We arrived at a small staircase that led up and split two ways to two different buildings. One of which we passed under seconds ago.

On the way I had my forehead tended to by Levi. It was a sweet gesture in my eyes. It meant that a small part of him cared.

Levi had stayed by my side the whole way, even when he led me up those stairs and to the left building. He opened the door and busted into the large living room with purpose. In turn, he released my hand and left me in the doorway.

Two couches rested to the right of the room with a table in between and there was a table towards the kitchen area as well, but that was not Levi's destination.

Instead he ran to a tidy room. I followed him carrying myself lightly. He got down on the floor and shoved his body under the bed.

That is out of character, especially for a man such as him.

There was some shuffling and grunting as he pulled something out from under the bed.

"You look ridiculous." I stated lightly. There was an annoyed groan and then his body squirmed out from under the bed.

He came out with a carved wooden box the size of a small dog. Not a speck of dirt was on his light grey shirt.

"Well, you must be blind then." He snapped back harshly. When he opened the box his eyes took on relief and satisfaction.

Walls that he had erected fell for just a moment allowing me to see the emotions that he felt.

"What's in there?" I asked pointing a finger at the box. Levi growled and shut the box again defensively.

Whatever was in the box was heavily important to him. Who was I to even question him? I had some things I got this way about too.

"Something close to my heart. It's a part of me that I'd rather not embarrass myself talking about." He responded quickly and started walking out of the room.

"Levi, whatever it is I won't judge you on it. You have my word." I promised, reaching a hand out to grab his heavy green cloak in my hand.

"Your word is like dirt to me. Do better." He said, yanking the fabric from my hands.

"I'm already willing to protect you against the whole military branch we're in. The least you can do is show me why I agreed to your favor. Then you can consider us even." I threw my hands up and fumed at him, glaring at his nape like it was a titan's.

"If I show you, and tell you about it, then you have to do the same with something personal." He whispered opening the box and turning back to face me.

"Okay. You've got a deal." I replied staring directly into his conflicted eyes.

I didn't blame him for that, it was something that held value only to him.

Hesitantly, and slowly, he lifted up a can of tea leaves. It was a rare brand, but just as I thought that was all, he pulled out a pure white cravat out of the carved box as well.

At first I was confused then he spoke.

"I got the tea by winning an arm wrestling match with a cocky proprietor. He challenged us to a match and I volunteered." Levi released a faint smile at the memory

"What happened?" I asked, genuinely interested in his tales. His eyes rested on the tin, swimming with the memories and thoughts from his past.

"He said he'd let me take his old lady if I won. So I won, but she didn't take my fancy at all. I was more interested in these rare tea leaves. I took them, and made a name for myself down here. I may be a bad person in some of your friends' eyes, but really, I took the bad ones down and took from the ungrateful." His stormy eyes met mine and something twisted inside me.

His eyes weren't cold, even if they were settled in his usual stoic expression, instead the irises were swirling with many things.

Because of that, it was nearly impossible to pinpoint the true emotion in his eyes.

"I am glad you took care of people worse than you. And maybe I could get you more of that tea sometime. If you'd like, you can enjoy my stash with me. I give you full permission to use the mess hall when you'd like some tea." I grinned and looked at the white cloth in his hand next to the tea.

"This... Cravat... Is the most important possession I have. It was a part of my mother's dress that I have had tailored to my liking. It was expensive, but.... So worth it." He said looking at it fondly.

Pain shot through my chest as possibilities of his past ran through my mind.

He was already so damaged from this world. It made my trauma look small in comparison and that was perfectly fine by me. It gave me more of a chance to offer him comfort with my remaining softness.

Just what has he been through up until this point?

"That is lovely, Levi. If you ever need it mended I can help, and I know that you don't want to talk about it completely, but I will be here for you if that is ever what you need." I reached my hand out and rested it upon his shoulder.

His muscles twitched strongly under the three layers of fabric and I removed my hand.

"I've got what I need. Let's go." Clearly he was uncomfortable, and to me that was okay.

"Okay. Let's go then." I followed him out of the house and stayed as close to him as he would allow.

It took less time to get out since we stuck together, but it was still a mess regardless.

I took one last look upon the city, trying to remember it, before I walked up the stairs to meet a relaxed looking Levi.

"Okay, Levi. Let's go." I smiled at him and led the way back to HQ.