Chapter 16: Hot as Fire

Three days remained in the week before the expedition started. After tonight, there would be two. One day to fix the floor above Isabel's room, one day to prepare, and the early morning after, we would leave.

Okay, so maybe three sort of remained, but I wasn't going to dwell on it. However, a nagging feeling deep in my gut told me I should do something. What that something is, was beyond me.

Finding clothes for Levi was an easy task to take. With his obsession for tidy spaces this was a breeze.

I grabbed a white shirt and some softer pants that he has, as well as socks and briefs that he'd need to be comfortable in. Uniform clothes are uncomfortable to sleep in, so going with softer clothing was a good way to be comfortable.

I flew back to my room, shutting Levi's door behind me on the way out.

I never liked being in the hall for too long at night, it made me feel vulnerable and besides curfew was in action. Shadis likes to run a tight operation and I could never hold that against him.

I open the door to my office and find the door to my room shut. Guess he wanted more privacy than the bathroom offered. Hesitantly, I knocked.

"Do you have my clothes?" He questioned stiffly from the other side of the door.

"I do, I made sure to grab the soft feeling ones so you can get some sleep." I said cautiously. The last thing I wanted to do was make him feel uncomfortable.

"Good, I have my dirty one's folded on your sink." He opened the door revealing his naked upper half to me. His lower half was protected by a towel- my towel. Oh God, he was using my towel.

I exploded with the color red and gazed upon his muscular frame. With clothes on, you would never suspect the amount of toned and well earned muscle he has lining his frame. It's too much for me to handle. Sure I was used to being open with my body, but seeing a male like this was completely different.

That being said, I gently shoved his clothes into his chest and took a step back quickly. Was it hot in my room? Or was it just the fire putting the crimson on my cheeks and ears?

I peeked up at him and was shocked to find his face a little bit pink as well. It was short lived as the pink disappeared and was replaced by a stoic expression again.

"I'll get dressed and get out. However, you aren't to mention this outside our friend group. Got it?" He spoke clearly and moved my door so it was mostly shut.

"Okay, I've got it, but you aren't my superior. I'm doing this for myself as well." I said. A soft chuckle echoed through my room and past the door.

It sounded like puff of air more or less, but it was still wonderful. It was something he never did around me. It was only with Farlan and Isabel.

"Whatever you say, Brat." He said roughly past the door, shutting it completely.

Of course, a man my age, who wears dust cloths around his head and neck, with a desire to eradicate messes, a temper, intense eyes, a body as hot as hell fire, and a personality as cold as ice, would capture my attention and make all of my authority disappear.

It made perfect sense. Now, I had to get myself back and out of his grasp. I'm sure that's as easy as counting casualties.

You're getting soft.

Now that, was terrifying.

How did I get this far in unintentionally? Since when did he have power over me? Why did I challenge myself to become his friend? What is it about him that is just so... Intriguing? Alluring? It's true I won't tell anyone for my own purposes, but why did I react so... Shyly?

All these thoughts hurt my head and brought me irritation.

Soon the door was opened and I composed myself.

"I hope you enjoyed the time you spent in here. Uhm, I'm sorry that I stared for so long. Seeing a man like that is foreign to me." I bowed my head slightly and looked at my bare feet for a moment.

"I understand, I would have reacted similarly.... However, I have seen naked people too much to care really." He said. I knew it was partially true, but when we were underground it was a different story. He hated seeing women like that with men.

Something had to have happened for him to have that reaction.

"Then why did you react with distain in the Underground when you saw that, uhm, incident?" I asked the question before I could even think against it.

Physically his body tensed with discomfort and his eyes lost their shine. There was a tension that hung in the air, and it told me that it was a touchy subject.

"Reasons I'd rather keep to myself." Came his dull and emotionless tone. It made my heart ache that I had brought something so sore in his heart to the light.

"I'm sorry, I won't bring it up again." I said gently. A warm hand rested itself on my head before it gave me a soft pat.

"Good. Sleep well then. See you tomorrow." He ended our conversation quickly and pulled his hand from my head. I could understand, if someone asked me about the scars in my back, I would probably act the same way.

Without another word I am left by myself in my quarters, with a heavy heart for the man that just left my presence.

It was odd. This feeling. I had felt it towards patients before. Where I wanted to help them. However, this one ran deeper, and felt more personal than that.

Why was that the case?

I have never felt this way before. It was like I wanted to make his pain go away, and not knowing how to go about it.

How do I make sense of all of this?

There was only one way to do it. In order to do that, I'd have to choose between three people to talk to.

Naturally, my mother was the first thought but I didn't want to travel all the way to Trost just to fall into a dark pit if she was still with my father.

Next, was Hanji, but knowing her she would tell people out of excitement. I don't know if I could trust her by asking.

In conclusion, that left Charity. However, she might pry and hurt me more than helping. So I had a decision to make after the expedition.

Who would help me understand what I'm going through? Oh... There was one more option all along, why not ask someone in a relationship. Akita.

It was settled after helping with the hole in the room above Isabel's, I would ask Akita about the problem.

It couldn't possibly be that bad right?