Andy Barber - Back to the Beginning

I am the last person who Andy expects to see as he sits himself at the desk that's all but center stage for this process. My own is just across however I don't plan on using it for purpose. In front of me lies a broken man who I barely recognise anymore. 

I haven't seen him in months and yet now in some cruel twist of fate, I am once again in the same room as him, ready to do my job. 

And for once I wish I didn't. 

Andy's eyes bare signs of neglect to himself, dark circles now resting under each of them replacing the bright shine that they used to have. I remember how they used to look into mine - baby blues searching for my own. Now they are darkened by what he's been through. 

I pour him a glass of water and place it on the desk as he looks up at me from staring silently into the tabletop. Anywhere but around him. 

I glance over at my mom who nods in acceptance with a small smile. He was her star ADA after all - and even after everything that's happened she still holds out some lingering hope that he will return to his old post. The post that I've had to take over since the accident happened. 

Part of me wonders why she asked me to do this and not Neal, however another part of me also thinks she now knows what went on. A few liaisons while working here to make my way through college, and then picking up where we left off after I returned a couple of years later. Something that would have surely jeopardised his position more than mine. 

Fucking the DA's daughter isn't exactly the wisest career move. 

I perch on my desk, resting one leg over the other and look at Andy. "Good morning Mr Barber". I finally say, trying to keep my nerves at bay. 

I never get nervous - but this is wrong. I'm about to pretty much interrogate him in front of my mom and the rest of the grand jury to see whether his wife deliberately caused the accident that could have killed herself and their son. 

"Good morning Sa...Miss Canavan". 

He was about to address me by my name, and then remembered his conduct. Something that we never really had much of when we were alone together. 

"Savannah..." Andy breathes against my neck, hands sliding down my waist. 

I glance back at the office door and pray that Andy locked the damn thing after he came in, as he hitches up my skirt. We're playing with fire - my mom is just in the office down the hallway...

and that's what makes it all the more thrilling. 

I know we shouldn't be doing what we're doing, especially in the office. I know that he's married, but whether it's happily is a different matter altogether. 

I know that this probably won't last long, but I don't care. No one does when they're caught in the midst of lust. 

"How long do we have?" I pant and then cover my mouth to stop a moan escaping as he eases himself into me, my other hand trying to keep myself steady against him. Clinging to him as he begins to move inside of me.

"About fifteen minutes if Neal's meeting history is anything to go by".

We've had shorter so this length of time is welcome. 

Andy's thrusts become harder, deeper knowing all the right places to hit. He remembers them back from our meetings that we had together. Somehow it seems like he never wanted to forget. As he feels me tighten around him, it's now his turn to silence me with his mouth on mine as we ride out the waves of our release together. 

Afterwards we simply resume normality, straightening ourselves out, readjusting ties and clothing. 

"Laurie's at some fundraiser thing tonight..." He says, now looking at me.

"What about your son?" I now feel a slight pang of guilt replacing the euphoric feeling I'd had just moments before. 

"At a friend's house..." 

I look at him and nod. "You have my address, same time as last". 

He walks to the door, the click of the lock now releasing from its place signalling that he did indeed secure it after coming in. 

"I'll see you tonight." 

I consult my notes for a moment, trying to push the memory into the back of my mind along with the others. I've accepted that's all that they'll ever be. 

"Right...perhaps it's best that we should go back the to beginning". I suggest as I now start what is going to be a long process of questioning, the eyes of the grand jury now upon us. 

Andy looks up from glaring into the tabletop, the sadness in his eyes finding the same in my own. 

"Yeah...perhaps that's best..."