Chapter 79

Thursday training with Adrian is a bit more friendly on his part. He chats more than he's chatted that last two days and I can tell he is trying to make me laugh, like that's his goal that he's set for the day. It's a losing ambition though, because I'm laser focused—teaching him routines that we'll never use.

"Don't you think this routine is a bit basic? Even your New York routines were more exciting than this," he complains at one point.

"I'm trying to make it simple enough to learn in a week," I tell him.

"Don't you want to win? Because I sure as hell want to win!" he says, and it's the first time he's talking about actually going to Worlds with me.

"I got you a ticket, by the way," I tell him. "Wednesday, to London."

"I can pay you back," he says.

"Don't worry. I'll make sure we're square before we're through," I tell him, and then press start again on the music and pull his hands into hold. There is no ticket, but he doesn't need to know that.

On Friday, we are working through a Samba routine and are nearly finished for the day. When I hear the door of the studio open. But it's not hair first like usual for him, and when I see him I gasp and cover my mouth. His beard is still present but he's cut off all his long hair and it makes him look five years younger.

His reaction is different than mine as he looks in anger between Adrian and myself as we stand in hold

His reaction is different than mine as he looks in anger between Adrian and myself as we stand in hold. I let go of Adrian's hands and step towards Harry.

"What are you doing here?" my breath is caught in my throat at how different he looks.

"I heard you found a new dance partner. Didn't want to believe it until I saw it with my own eyes," he grits his teeth with each word.

"What did you expect me to do?" I ask.

"Not this," his eyes not leaving Adrian's as he tries to kill him with a stare. I can see his fists clenching and I know I need to stop this before it gets out of hand.

"You chose not to dance with me. You knew how much I wanted Worlds and you abandoned me. That was your choice, not mine."

He sees that I'm angry at him and his face softens. Regret flashes in his eyes.

"None of this is what I want," his voice comes out so gently, that I forget that Adrian is even here. When he sees that I'm not going to kick Adrian out, he simply nods in resignation, and walks back out the door. I stop myself from following after him, trying to nail my feet to the floor. I'm grateful when Adrian approaches me, takes the remote for the music out of my hands to press play, and goes right back into training. This boy might actually be learning a thing or two about me. That makes me nervous. I don't want him to know any of my tells.

Saturday is here before I'm ready to see Harry again. Tonight we are dancing at Alba for one specific client, the big investor that Harry has convinced to come. I know how much this would mean to him if we performed well. Adrian and I are in the staff room, getting warmed up. It's almost our turn to dance. Angela is on stage now, and Nicole and Carmen are both practicing in the hallway with their partners.