Chapter 4

Zayn and I practiced on Tuesday and Wednesday too. I was anxious to nail down our routines. We had a competition next weekend and I was eager to prove ourselves again after nearly dropping off the dancing circuit after my hip injury. When Thursday came I was anxious for him and Niall to come to my work. I followed the same routine as last Saturday, doing my hair and makeup at home but bringing my outfit to change into at work. It was a hot summer day in New York, even after the sun had set. I put on a pair of jean shorts and a white tee, tying a blue flannel around my waist to have for after work. At the front door, I told the doorman (who only went by Jonesy), about Niall and Zayn coming and he wrote their names down on his clipboard. I thanked him and he said, "No problem, kid."

I was the first dancer at work, and changed into my outfit in peace. I sat at the makeup chair, applying my lipstick carefully when Angela and Nicole walked in.

"Hey," I say politely to them and they give both give a quiet Hey back. I resist the urge to roll my eyes at their frosty reception. In the dance competition world, everyone is very friendly and helpful and I wasn't used to this hostile environment. I heard the music start up and knew that we were due on stage soon. Just as I wondered where Carmen was, she came flying in the room, dropping her stuff in a hurry.

"Shit! Sorry I'm late! I'll be two minutes. Meet you out there!"

I made my way to Louis, who was waiting with three shots ready.

"Carmen's running..."

"Running behind. Yeah, I saw her sprint in here."

He raises a shot to me and I take mine and clink my glass with his, "Salute."

I walk out to the raised box and Brody, the usual bouncer who is near us, lifts me up. I feel a bit more self conscious tonight as my outfit is not something I would ever wear normally. For college night, they have us wearing a version of Catholic school girl's outfit; plaid skirts with white button downs tucked in. I'm used to wearing revealing outfits for competition but never one that plays so obviously into male fantasy. It also makes zero sense with the college theme that I feel like the owner must be messing with us.

I see Carmen rush out from the back, quickly take a shot with Louis before she is lifted onto the box next to me. She joins me in dancing immediately and I'm impressed with how quickly her and I have synced our dancing styles to each other, coming up with our own mini routines throughout the night. If I had my way, I would choreograph routines for all four of us but I know that would be overstepping my very new position at this club.

Around ten o'clock, I see Niall and Zayn walk into the club. I watch Zayn point up to me, and Niall follows his finger until our eyes meet. He smiles when he notices me, giving me two thumbs up, which makes me laugh.

"Who's that?" Carmen says to me, as we dance.

"That's my friend Niall, and Zayn, my friend from the other night."

"Are you only friends with hot people?! Girl, you better introduce me."

"Of course," I say to her with a smile.

We decide to take our first break, Brody helping us down. I run up to Zayn and Niall, hugging them both, before introducing them to Carmen.

"Come on, let's get your friends some drinks," she says.

She leads the way to the bar, Zayn putting his arm around me as we walk over. Louis holds up a finger towards us, signalling to us he'll be with us in a minute. When he is done serving that customer, he comes over and greets us all enthusiastically.

"Louis, these are my friends, Zayn and Niall."

They all shake hands cordially.

"What can I get the lads?"