Chapter 14

Jonesy starts smirking as soon as he sees the five of us laughing and talking loudly as we approach the club, it being very obvious that we've all had a few drinks. The girls each give him an overly affectionate hug one by one and Louis has to herd us into the doors of the club, steering us by the shoulders to get inside. The other bartenders see us and start shaking their heads chuckling at our tipsy antics.

"Hey! I'll make you all a special Fourth of July drink when you come out," Tanner says.

"Thanks Tanner!" we all shout as we walk back to the staff room. Instead of our college night outfits, Liam has asked us to dress in patriotic colors. I had found one of my old dance costumes when I was cleaning for the move and it had a sequined blue halter top. I paired it with some white shorts and sparkly heels. I put the top half of my hair into two pigtails and wrapped both with red elastics.

We don't hang out in the staff room like we usually do, since we're already late, and the girls start heading out

We don't hang out in the staff room like we usually do, since we're already late, and the girls start heading out. I grab my stuff to throw in my locker and check my phone and I see a new text.

Zayn: Come stay at my place tonight after you get off work. I'll pay for the cab xx

I grin ridiculously at the message but decide to wait a bit to text him so I don't seem too eager.

I go and meet everyone at the bar and watch Tanner pour us all a layered drink of red, blue and white. I start looking around the room now and notice all the decorations. Us four girls, plus Louis, Tanner and the other bartender Joe, lift our shots in cheers. Tanner sends me a wink before drinking his and I smile back.

"Zayn's going to like these," Louis says as he pulls gently on my two pigtails.

I flip him the bird in return and he chuckles at my reaction. The club is getting pretty crowded already so we push our way to the stage. Brody greets us and reminds us to be careful when he sees that we're all a little drunk.

On my first break Carmen and Louis talk me into having another shot. I decide to keep my buzz alive hoping it settles my nerves at the idea of going to Zayn's later. I tell Carmen I'll meet her at the stage and I go to use the bathroom quickly.

When I emerge from the bathroom, I see Harry walking towards me from his office but with his head down looking at his phone. I stand waiting for him and when he looks up, he nearly drops his phone. His mouth opens and he looks at me from head to toe, paying extra attention to my hair. He pulls his lips into his mouth, wetting them before speaking.

"You're making me want to apply for citizenship, Sunshine."

I try to hide a smile, unsuccessfully, and he notices and smiles back before raising his fist in the air and quietly chanting, "USA! USA!" making me push his shoulder, chuckling at his immature antics. I walk past him and I look back over my shoulder to see him still staring at me, but at my eyes, as if he knew I would look back at him. I turn around quickly before he catches me blushing and I join Carmen again.