Chapter 40

Harry takes me to my apartment first and we wait out front until we see Carmen leave for work at Sirens. I feel like secret agents with this sneaking around. When we go inside, I watch as he rifles through my closet, picking out a shirt satin slip dress in a emerald green color that makes my olive skin pop. I push him out of the bedroom so I can change, putting on a pair of heels and makeup. I pull my dark hair back in a low bun, making it look sleek and showcasing my neck. He holds the door open for me when we get to his car, and I carefully slide in making sure my dress covers everything as I do.

I had sent Liam a text earlier to say I wasn't feeling well and I texted Carmen too, telling her I was holed up sick at my parents' place

I had sent Liam a text earlier to say I wasn't feeling well and I texted Carmen too, telling her I was holed up sick at my parents' place. Harry drives towards Midtown and manages to find a place to park his car on the street. He opens my door, holding it for me before taking my hand and leading me into a restaurant. As soon as he is in the front door, I hear an enthusiastic welcome.

"Harry! It's been so long!" an older woman says. She sounds so much like my Nonna that I'm sure she is Italian.

"Ciao Sophia!" he remarks back, hugging her.

"Oh, you brought a friend!" she says as she takes me in. "Molto bella!"

"Sophia, this is Ciro."

"Ciro is a boy's name and you are no boy," she says, holding my hand.

"No, my parents have three sons and they thought I was going to be a boy, too. They picked the name and then were shocked when I came out a girl. They loved the name too much to change it. Most people call me CiCi."

"Parla Italiano?"

"Sì, un po'."

"Come with me you two. Let's get you fed."

She continues to hold my hand, patting the top of it as we walk through to the rear of the busy restaurant. She picks the most secluded table and tells us she'll be right back with some drinks and food. Harry holds out my chair for me to sit down.

"How did you find this place?" I ask him.

"When I lived in Italy I became good friends with an older couple who owned a restaurant there. They told me they had relatives that owned a place in New York and when I moved they said I should visit them. That was five years ago and I've been coming here every Friday for dinner since. I haven't been here for a little while though."

"How come?"

"Because a certain dancer started working at my club and I just couldn't miss it."

My breath hitches with his revelation, unsure of how to respond to it. He gives me a shy smile, himself probably realizing what he just admitted. I reach across the table, looking to reassure him, as I take his hand.

"Harry, you know-" and I pause dramatically, ensuring I have his full attention, "-you could always come for lunch. Or on a different day. Or before work starts," I tease him, squeezing his hand before I let it go. He chuckles at my joke, rolling his eyes playfully at me.