Chapter 43

"Well, this has been a crazy night," Niko said. He brought out some popcorn and drinks. Neither of them had been able to eat dinner that night. And Niko wasn't going to be able to get out of here until 4am.

"It's been interesting, I'll say that," Solomon laughed. Niko had just been able to put James to bed. He fell asleep halfway into the movie. "So, what happened with you and Matilda?"

"That's a long story," he sat down on the couch. The movie was still playing, but neither of them were paying attention to it.

"I'm pretty sure we have some time," Solomon pushed. Niko just smiled and shook his head. He could never keep things from Solomon. There was always something in him that kept him from lying to the man. That, and it seemed like he knew whenever he was.

"She was probably the closest thing I had gotten to a steady relationship," he told him. "Besides you that is."

"How long were you two together?"

"Just a month," he put his hand on the back of his head. He didn't want to look at Solomon at the moment, so he looked to the ground. "It didn't last long, but it just took one night and we wound up with James."

"He's really cute," Solomon put a hand on his back, as if to comfort him in some way. "It really seems like he misses you."

"Yeah," he chuckled nervously. "I haven't really seen him too much."

"Is it because of our dates?" Solomon asked. Niko looked up at him to see that he was looking guilty.

"What? No," he shook his head and sighed. "It's not your fault at all for that. I just..." he paused for a second. "I just don't come to see him that often."

"Why?" Solomon asked again. Those hazel eyes didn't look angry, or judging. It surprised Niko. He didn't know that someone could be so caring.

"I don't know," he sighed again. "Honestly, I just never thought I would be a good father for him. I never wanted to become one. So, I always just took care of him and Matilda with money and came to parties and all of that."

Why was he telling him all of this? These were things that he had only ever thought about. He never thought in his life that he would finally tell someone. But Solomon was different from anyone who had ever asked. He was gentle, but rational. It was easy to talk to him about anything. And Niko didn't feel like he could stop talking after he started.

"Well," Solomon gave him a small smile. "You could have done worse, I'll give you that."

"Heh," Niko chuckled. "Thanks, I guess."

"What makes you think that you can't be a good father, though?"

"I just can't do it," Niko said. "You see, if I didn't have you come over, I wouldn't know what to do. Matilda's boyfriend, Clay, he takes care of the kid ten times better than I ever could. Jay absolutely loves him."

"He loves you too," Solomon told him. "And you really shouldn't compare yourself to others. I think you did a pretty good job, from the little bit that I saw."

"Really?" he raised his eyebrows at him. "You really think I did okay?"

"You ran right to him when he started crying, and you found him medicine right when you found out that he had an ear ache," Solomon said. "If that's not parenting, I don't know what is."

"I don't know how he was still so energetic even after that ear ache," Niko shook his head.

"Kids are weird that way," Solomon said. "You remind me of one of my friends when he first became a parent, though. He didn't exactly think he was the best father either. But, if you keep trying, you'll get the hang of it."