Chapter 42

Laurence POV:

It had been the day after last, and I was taking watch over Katelyn's ship from the tower. I had seen Brian talk to Aphmau before she was in a hurry towards the housing area. Brian caught my stare from on the hill and made his way over to me, along with Greywind. Expecting some casual greetings, I was instead met with some urgency from my adoptive sister. Cadenza had been in distress and had called upon Aphmau. Shifts were changing anyways, so I took the chance to see what was fussing her.

"Aphmau, Brian tells me Cadenza summoned you- is everything ok?!" I might be a little protective of her. My mood then couldn't be described in words after what Aphmau said. My breath hicked as my ears now held a faint ring to it. ".................What? .........Hayden is dead......? .............He was like a father to me........" I could see Aphmau's hand reaching out to my shoulder. I blew up before it did.

"HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? WHO THE HECK DID THEY ALLOW TO TAKE HIS GUARD'S PLACE AND WATCH OVER HIM?!" I could feel the new found coming of a headache. Aphmau had drawn back her hand with a lowly hanging head. "Laurence, Cadenza wants to go to Mateli." My anger was starting to get the best of me. "Of course she wants to go to Mateli and I do as well. Are you taking her?" Aphmau nodded her head with a yes.

     "Then I am coming with you as well. Hayden was a wonderful man and I need to make whoever did this to him pay." The approaching footsteps from behind made me turn around. "Laurence, what's with all that yelling?" Said the voice of Garroth. My face probably looked slightly menacing. "Cadenza's father, Hayden...one of the people who was trying to become lord of Mateli was recently assassinated."

     Garroth displayed a look of both shock and sympathy. "WHAT?! THAT'S HORRIBLE!" I only felt more upset seeing Katelyn's ship in the background. I brought up the conspiracy of foul play, with the events only now coming up after Katelyn arrived. "Laurence, I know that you are in distress right now... I know that Hayden was a huge father figure in your life but for the safety of everyone, I ask that you do not go around pointing fingers until you have solid evidence."

     I glared at him for the obvious instruction that I as a guard should know. "I'm not stupid Garroth, I'm going to be escorting Lady Aphmau and Cadenza to Mateli. I'll be at the end of the housing path ready to make way for Mateli, Aphmau come to me when you as well as Cadenza are ready." I felt slightly sick to my stomach as I swiftly walked away from the two of them and past the plaza. There was nothing else for me to bring with as I paced near the houses.

Y/n was coming over from where the gate was, but I noticed too late when she had already seen my expression. "Oh, hey Laurence. I've learned from experience that pacing only makes you more tense." She sat down on a fallen tree trunk. I sighed heavily running a hand through my hair before plopping down next to her with my temple resting on my hand. Neither of us said anything but neither were relaxed.

A few minutes passed and it made me slightly irritated. "....Aren't you gonna say something?" Y/n was looking down with her hands in her lap. "...Did you want me to say anything?" I gave a dry laugh, straightening my back some. "Yes...please, I need a good distraction right now." She hummed and propped backwards onto her hands. "Uh when I was about 5, me and my 6 year old cousin were playing on the couch. We're were jumping back and forth while pretending to fall off. Either I tripped over the cushions or my cousin was a dick and pushed me, but I actually fell off the couch."

     An amused smile was on my face. "What happened after that?" Y/n pulled up the sleeve on her right arm to show a long horizontal scar. "I broke my forearm super bad and needed to get surgery on it." I blinking looking at the darkened area of skin. 'Huh, surprised I hadn't seen that before.' It was quiet again and I was slowly thinking about who would actually kill Hayden. Y/n placed a hand on my arm. "Hey, uh I'm not good at  stuff like this but if you wanted to ta--"

     I cut her off and clamped onto her hand with both my own. "You had said you knew what was going to happen right?!" She held a surprised look with a short nod. I smiled some with a determined face. "Than can you tell me who did this to Hayden?!" Y/n's face changes to one of slight guilt and remorse. "I..I can't do that Laurence. If I tell you, it could change the outcome of what happens." I had applied soft pressure to her hand. "Well what is the outcome?! Doesn't you talking to me effect something, so it shouldn't matter!"

    My breathing had picked up on itself as I felt a little frantic. "That's not how it works, Laur--" "THAN HOW DOES IT WORK?!" I yelled out. 'I didn't mean to yell.' My eyes blurred up as I furiously blinked and rubbed them. A guard is not supposed to let someone see them cry. I'm not supposed to let Y/n see me cry. "NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY DAMN SENSE! HAYDEN SHOULDN'T BE DEAD! CADENZA SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BACK THERE! I SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN LEFT MATEL--"

    My jaw had been harshly grabbed and turned upward. Y/n had both her hand on my face. "Shut up. Shut up and listen to yourself. I'm not telling you not to grieve, but I am telling you to not let your emotions control you. Do you even see how angry you're getting? It's making you lash out and  be irrational. Yes you're upset, but so is Cadenza. You have to be there for each other, but how can you do that if you're gonna be yelling at her?"

     I felt it. I felt my anger blow away. I felt my eyes stinging as her hands were still against my face. I felt all over again the reason I hold this woman so dearly.

And I cried.

     Y/n had started to take her hands back, when I pulled her into a tight hug. Like a kid I suddenly clung to her and cried over the man the poses as my father. It wasn't loud and wild, but quiet and hickory. Y/n put her arms around my shoulders loosely. Almost hesitant, but I can't blame her. After a while she tapped me. "Laurence, Aphmau is almost ready. You gotta go." I straighten up and regained my composure. Y/n now had a tear stained sleeve but didn't pay attention to it.

     I more than likely had red rimmed eyes. "Right. I'm sincerely thankful for your words, my love. We'll be back in a few days." I had stood up and was facing her. Y/n snickered to herself with an eyebrow raised. "Your love?" I blinked in response before realizing my mistake. "Huh? Oh sorry, I'm not really thinking at the moment." It did hurt a little that I was called out on it though. She stood up and started walking away as Aphmau came with Cadenza in a lasso. "Yeah see you later, Weirdo."

1246 words. I'm having the feels for my boy Laurence right now. He shouldn't be crying.