CHAPTER 19: MISSION 👌

PHUN'S POV

Finally, we touched Koh Phayam's shore before noon. The sun is already high up above us but the cool breeze eases any uncomfortable feeling. Koh Phayam is a small island, only 10 km long and 5 km wide. It is an untamed paradise surrounded by long sandy beaches and has preserved all its natural beauty. The little hills, the forest, and the jungles have stayed unharmed against the modern world. It's a perfect getaway.

Motorbike taxis are the main transportation used on the island. The roads are small, so there are no cars, which added more to its unique charm. No mind- boggling traffic jams unlike Bangkok. We rode on the motorbike and headed towards the main village.

Overall, we'll have at least three days for the medical mission alone. Today we will start in the main village and will visit a small gypsy settlement later on. This medical mission is only a part of the school's project. The alumni had also selected this area for repair and renovation of their primary school. Apparently, an alumnus had a vacation here and fell in love with this place. I could clearly see why. The materials and a few more volunteers will be coming in these next days. I was seriously considering staying a little longer and help with the labor too. I do not exactly have anything on my plate right now. Since I' m planning to join the Peace Corps, might as well start it in my own country.

There was already a long queue of patients eagerly waiting for us when we arrived at the place. A big tarpaulin hanged from the ceiling welcoming us. Young and old, men and women have gathered here today. The venue for the mission is quite a spacious hall.

 The venue for the mission is quite a spacious hall

We settled our things and immediately started with the check-up. We each occupy a table (which was already prepared by our contacts here) since we each have our own specialty. We also brought some medicines for common fevers, colds, coughs and some antibiotics. A lot of vitamins too especially for the kids and the old folks.

The folks here are very kind and appreciative. They' d been waiting for us since this morning but they patiently fall in line and waited for their turn. Good thing, we also brought some snacks for them and a few other necessities. I didn't know how many thank you's I've received today. I was glad to be able to help these simple people even if it's just this small. Their sincere smiles are more than enough for us. We finally had our last patients by the time the sun starts to set. It was a successful event. We were tired but it was very fulfilling.

We totally forgot about lunch. It's no big deal actually, for us doctors skipping a meal  quite common especially during emergency situations. Practicing inedia is part of our skill.(I'm exaggerating) By the time, Uncle Norak called us for dinner, our stomachs have already growled loudly.