Stolen Secrets- Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

One of her hands came out of her protective position and she patted the bed next to her in different spots. She found my hand and pulled it to her.

I almost fell from the sudden force but managed to catch myself in time. Natalie brought my hand to her moist cheek and held it there.

She had grabbed my right hand, forcing me to lie on my back so that she could hold it. I wasn’t the most comfortable. I slowly slid my hand from her gasp and almost wanted to start crying myself when I heard her whimper as my skin left hers.

I replaced the hand quickly with my other so that I was lying on my side facing her and she now had my left hand. My arm now crossed my body and rested comfortably against her soft skin.

Natalie laid her hand over mine to hold my hand to her cheek. Her tears ran sideways across her face and into her fiery hair spread out against the white comforter of the bed.

We stayed like that for a while. I didn’t dare move to try and do anything else to comfort her, I didn’t want her moving away from me. This was enough for me.

Natalie looked so small in my sweatshirt. She almost seemed to be drowning in it. I was honoured that she was still wearing it, but I don’t know why she was. But it looked better on her, than it ever had on me. Even when tears were streaming down her cheeks, her eyes bloodshot, her nose red and her hair all messed up, she was still my gorgeous angel.

Finally, Natalie stopped crying enough to speak.

“Called…everything…no…” she took a breath and tried again. “He’s gone,” she whispered her voice breaking.

“I know,” I said. I didn’t want to lie to her. Nothing I could come with to say was the guaranteed truth. I know people don’t mind being lied to, to make them feel better. But I don’t think I could ever lie to Natalie.

“Mommy,” she whispered.

“I’m sorry,” was all I could think of to say.

“Why?” Natalie questioned.

I didn’t have an answer for that. Natalie was only part of all this because her parents had adopted her. But she would have lost out on a lot of her life if they hadn’t. The goods cancel out the bad in this scenario.

“Shh,” I told her.

“Jeff…I…” Natalie shook her head and started over. “I’m broken.”

“No you’re not. You just are going through a tough time right not,” it sounded good in my head, so I hoped it was the right thing to say.

Natalie shook her head again and didn’t say anything more.

After about another half hour, Natalie’s tears ran dry, but she stayed curled up next to me. Then she drifted off to sleep no moving at all.

I carefully slipped out of the bed and padded softly to the door, shutting it slowly behind me.

“How is she?” Mum asked as I came into the kitchen.

“I think she called her dad again and he didn’t pick up. She just kinda snapped and broke down,” I relayed rubbing the back of my neck nervously.

“You’re a good friend son,” Dad said.

I nodded and sat down at the table. “Not good enough. I haven’t been able to save her from pain.”

“Yes you have. You’ve done plenty for her. You are a very good friend to her. Don’t beat yourself up because you can't make her life perfect,” Mum chastised.

“I can't help it,” I said sheepishly.

“You’re doing your best,” Mum said sternly.

I put my head in my hands and closed my eyes.

“Does Natalie know you like her?” Mum questioned.

I shook my head, my eyes still closed. “Make sure she doesn’t find out until she is able to handle it,” Mum said sternly. Then she softened. “She is very lucky to have you.”

“I just want her happy,” I complained.

My parents smiled at me. “You’re giving her so much. But happiness is one thing you can't just hand to her. It’s going to take some time.”

I wanted to protest further, but was too tried to argue. I just nodded into my hands and remained silent.

***

It's short but oh well.

I'm so happy!! 2 new fans just from today!!!

Thank you so much for reading!!

Vote + Comment + Fan please!!!