Stolen Secrets- Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

I agreed to do that. As I finished the last of my muffin, I wrote up a quick list of things I would need. Just simple things. A couple changes of clothes, my shower stuff and my laptop. I had been smart enough to grab my iPod last night so that I didn’t have to listen to the whispers today.

I left the note on the table along with my key and then Jeff and I left with David for school. I made sure to put Jeff’s sweatshirt on again. It made me feel a lot better for some reason.

“You going to be okay?” Jeff asked after David had dropped us off.

“Mmm hmm,” I mumbled as I slipped in my ear buds for my iPod. I clicked on the first song I saw, but kept it low enough so that I could still talk to Jeff. I didn’t want to start ignoring my only friend.

“Are you sure?” He asked looking at me with concern clearly evident on his face.

I nodded. Then I felt guilty because he deserved more than just a nod from me. “I’m just worried about what other people are going to say,” I admitted.

“I’ll be here to help you through everything,” Jeff said looking me in the eye to show me just how serious he was.

I gave him a small smile. “Thank you.”

Jeff shrugged. “Anything for you.”

If only all guys could be as sweet as him.

~Jeff~

After school Natalie came back to my house right away. I don’t think she could even bear the thought of going back to her empty place.

As soon as we got in the door, she said something about homework and disappeared to my room.

I don’t mind the fact that for the foreseeable future my room is now hers. At lunch she told me we could switch rooms, but I refused her. Brandon has some pictures and things taped to his walls that I much rather Natalie never see.

I would remove them, but Brandon must have used super glue or something I can't get them off.

So I am going to be staying in his room. Natalie can have mine. I have nothing disturbing in my room.

I was in Brandon’s room reorganizing the boxes he had left in there with all of his stuff to make things more comfortable for me. Mum had brought my laundry in here so that I could put away in here, because there was no point putting it in my room with Natalie in there.

I had just gotten off the phone with Brandon. I had called him to tell him about my new predicament and to complain about the disturbing images around the room. He had just told me man up and to clue in to the fact that there was chick living in the same house as me. All he had said about Natalie’s dad missing was ‘that sucks man’ and ‘you’re dating a tiny celebrity’. Brandon may just be a little inconsiderate.

I heard the door of the room open. I looked over expecting it to my Mum, but I was surprised to see that it was Natalie instead.

Tears streamed down her cheeks, and her hands were shaking uncontrollably. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out.

“Natalie,” I said. I didn’t know what else to say. I couldn’t comfort her without scaring her and I didn’t know what words would make everything better.

One hand went up to cover her perfect little mouth and nose, and the other went across her stomach. Then she stumbled across the room and fell onto the bed.

She didn’t lay there sprawled out for long. She quickly curled into a ball and cried as silent sobs shook her body.

I went over to her immediately and say next to her. I lifted my hand to put on her back, but then I lowered it before it even came close to making contact with her. I didn’t want her flinching away from me. It would hurt more than just watching her cry.