Chapter 10 - Wine and Roofs

Start from the beginning

I hear Zach scream out my name through the window telling me to come back down but I drowned out his voice as much as I could.

I stand up straight and look at the wonderful landscape in front of me. Everything looked so peaceful and untouched; the trees just swaying and rustling with the wind, the sky so blue and smooth it reminded me of Jack’s gorgeous eyes…

I start to sway and I felt like throwing up so I bent over putting my hands on my knees to steady myself but instead it put me off balance. I feel my body hit the ground and I soon started to roll. I barely even realised what was going on, until my body rolled all the way to the edge of the roof, I scream and grab onto the gutter just in time as my body flung off the end of the roof.

‘Help me, please!’ I screamed out of reaction, the overwhelming fear taking over me like a tsunami. The metal cut into me palms right on top of the one before and I couldn’t help but start crying. My head stated to spin and my grip loosened a bit, but as I look down to the ground I knew I couldn’t fall without dying or badly hurting myself. I couldn’t do that.

But then I had second thoughts. Maybe I should just let go. Maybe I should just put everyone out of their misery and do it myself.

I feel my body start to shift down a bit as my grip started to loosen some more, but the fear of falling and dying like this just made me want to live and grip onto the sharp rusted metal for as long as I could.

‘Remy! Remiah, where are you?’ I hear Zach calling me but I didn’t think he would help me, he’ll probably just make me let go and end it all like this.

‘Remy!’

I tried to quieten my sobs as much as I could while the metal stung my cut and dug into the open wound, I wanted so badly to get this over and done with.

He finally finds me but I was too far for his reach, any closer and he could lose balance and end up right next to me

‘Ah jeez Remy, what did you do now? Are you okay?’ I hear the panic in his voice but I thought he was just putting it on.

A second later his head pops out from the top and he puts a calm hand over mine, ‘Remy, you’ll have to let go of the gutter and grab my hand,’ he says quickly, assessing how far down the ground was and how my grip was loosening by the second.

I feel the blood trickle down the insides of my wrists and the tears came back so hard I could barely breathe.

I don’t want to let the gutter go. How can I trust Zach, after what he did? What if he’ll just drop me on purpose?

I start to shake and one of my hands was now only holding on by the fingers, I scream and look up at Zach now hyperventilating and I realised he was my only choice of surviving. ‘Remiah hurry up! Grab my hand already!’ he yells but instead I look away.

‘Why won’t you trust me? I can help you!’

‘You tried to kill me Zach! Don’t you remember that? You were going to shoot me!’ I choke out finally looking up and holding his gaze. For a moment he looks angry as his hands moves down to my wrists; he felt the blood but pretended it wasn’t there.

‘I’m sorry; it was all Billy’s idea. I thought someone had already told you?’ he asks, his grip tightening on my wrists as I started to struggle even more.

How could Billy do that to me? Why would he want someone to shoot me but then shoot them instead?

Suddenly my stomach clenched of anger and hatred I felt sick and wanted to throw up.

I looked at the floor and just felt like letting go, I wanted to go back to that black hole and maybe stay there for eternity, no matter how scary it is it seemed it was so very welcoming than this distant grey world.