Chapter Thirty Six

I hopped in the car with Karren staring at my brusied face. I couldn't stand to look at my face as a whole so I used a small makeup compact mirror. I couldn't go home like this, it would only cause my mama to flip out. If Xavier hadn't taken his jeep to work I could've gotten my backpack, phone, debit card and book a room for a few nights at one of the hotels. But that bitch ass nigga was on his period.

I sat in the backseat of the car as I thought about Karren's story. She was so right, I couldn't win if I just gave up or attempted to end my life. There was absoultely no victory beyond the grave. Which meant they won. I didn't like losing, that was one thing for sure. So even though I was done with Xavier, I wasn't finish. He and I had some unfinished business and I was planning on giving him a surprise of a life time.

"Baby girl, you sure you wanna let your mama see you like this?" Karren asked as we pulled up into my driveway.

"No mam. I'm just gonna go get a few things and head over to my neighbor's so he can give me a ride somewhere." I told Ms. Karren.

"Okay, calm yourself a little bit. Don't overract and do anything foolish." She said to me.

"Yes Mam I won't." I said as she pulled into my drive way. I gathered my things and hopped out the car grateful for Karren's plan of escape. "Thank you for everything Ms. Karren. You don't know how much your story and prayer means to me." I said to her as I stopped near the driver's window.

"My pleasure dear. My story helped you and made me help my daughter with love too. So, I know, once this is all said and done, you'd be hearing "Thank You" from someone else." She said. I gave her a final hug before I walked towards the house as she pulled onto the street.

I walked around the kitchen where my mama always kept a window open. Because shit face Xavier had my bag, every plan I had made in my mind was at a standstill.

"Mia? Michelle?" I yelled.

I looked around waiting for a few minutes until I saw them coming in the kitchen.

"Aunty? OMG! Your face!" Mia said holding her sides of her face.

"Its just a scratch, I'll deal with it later. Can you open the door for me please?" I asked.

"Yes Ma'." Mia said as she ran to the front door. I got inside, locked the door and gave them both a kiss.

"Aunty are you okay?" MJ asked.

"Yea my babies. Couldn't be better." I said. "Go on, get back to watching some television and I'll be fine." I said trying to calm their minds that were racing with questions.

I rushed up the stairs towards the bathroom. Mama always kept an extra key for my room and hers inside the laundry room in case we lost our other key. I dug up for my keys, unlocked my room and went inside.

I needed to stay away from my mama for a few days until the swelling in my jaw comes down. I dug through my lingere drawer, taking my passport, spare car keys and the $50,000 cheque Mr. Carter gave me a few months ago after he heard about me being a college student. I promised to only use it for medicial emergencies but I was emotionally ill after Xavier's last night.

I quickly packed a few things into my duffle bag that I took from Xavier's house. I called a cab immediately, giving them my address. I doubled check my room one more time before departing. Within 20 minutes the cab was here. I locked my room door, placing the keys back in the laundry room and headed for the stairs.

"Please don't tell me your trying to run from me bruised up Betty."
Diamond said walking out her room as I descended the stairs. "God, Xavier ass really destroyed your face. I told you bad bitches game only!" Diamond said laughing at me as I fumbled through the kitchen for something to drink and snack on.