Chapter Nine

After my classes ended, I didn't bother with heading out to dinner with Xavier. I knew my mama wanted to spend the evening with me and I felt stuck again. I stopped by the grocery store picking up the items mama wrote down on her list. She wouldn't be home until 7 so I decided to pick up a few burgers and fries for the kids, Diamond and I.

After seeing Adrian today, the first timein almost 2 years, my day had been thrown of balance. I didn't want to give into him because I was already falling for Xavier, but then I remembered Adrian never asked for a relationship; just a friendship. I strolled through the feminine isle quickly picking up some products for myself just to keep myself occupied for a little while.

I went to the empiest cashier and purchased the things. I headed out as soon as possible, hopping in my car and stopping at Wendys getting something for Diamond and her kids on my way home. I took my time on the road as I wrapped myself up in my thoughts trying to sort things out within. The drive from the grocery to my home was a quiet 20 minutes but quite short since I felt entertained.

"Mia, Michael can I get a hand please?" I screamed to them at the front door after I parked in the driveway, calling for assistance.

"Coming aunty!" They said dashing outside.

"Hey there. I bought some food for grammy to cook." I said as we made a few trips back to the car.

"Thank You aunty. Can we eat now please? Mama hasn't fed us all day." Mia begged with her soft eyes.

"You didn't have breakfast?'' I asked confused. I couldn't believe Diamond fat ass was home all day and didn't bother feeding her own damn kids.

"No mam. Mama gave us some warm milk and told us to sit down in the front room and watch tv. She was out all day and just came back." Michael whined holding his tummy as he placed the last bit of grocery on the kitchen table.

"Shut the fuck up Michael. Everytime I see yall asses one of yall fucking hungry." Diamond yelled walking into the kitchen causing Michael to cry. "Shut that noise up Michael before I give you something to cry for." She yelled the more.

"Diamond you need to minimize your voice. Screaming at them ain't gonna change a thing." I said pissed at her arrogance.

"Beyonce these are my kids. Let me do what I want." She yelled.

"You don't need to let a soul no those are your kids because your hip don't do anything for them. Do you know how they eat? How they bathe? How their hair get fix? You ain't got no job, living of a woman who has no ties to you what so ever, you don't have a bill to pay and you don't buy grocery. Why you couldn't make sure they had something to eat?" I said.

"Why the fuck you always up in my business?" She said pouring out cereal into two empty bowls and throwing them at her kids as she walked out the kitchen smelling like alcohol and fish water. I looked at her shaking my head. I never will understand.

"Don't eat that Mia and MJ. I'll get you your food I bought." I said reaching behind the bags of the grocery and handing them the burgers with fries.

"Thank You Aunty!" They said gladly hopping to their feet.

"No problem. I'll make sure mommy leaves something for you both to access by yourselves before she leaves in the morning. Now go on in the frontroom and watch tv. Don't mess up the sofa now." I said.

After putting away the grocery I sat at the table for a little while eating my salad and grilled chicken that I got from Marco's Deli on the way. I kind of regretted cancelling on Xavier because now I was bored with nothing to do. The clock in the kitchen ringed letting me know it was 6 o'clock. I check to see where the kids were so they could take their shower.