❦One Hundred Ten❦

Start from the beginning

I slipped off my cloak, letting it rest in a pile on the other side of the couch I was sat down on with my tea. Untying my boots and kicking them off.

Phil's entire cabin was earthy tones within. A nice brown leather couch and a dark green soft carpet underfoot. Everything dark oak or spruce wood, he even had a few house plants he somehow managed to keep alive. How ironic is that? The Angel of death keeping delicate plants alive for over a year now.

"Did you have a nice time with Eret and Foolish?" Phil chirped out, face relaxed and smiling widely. He must have been lonely without Tech and I around. You can only get so much company from the wolves and Steve the polar bear. I'm sure he had been making various redstone creations and builds when I was gone either way for entertainment.

I nodded truthfully in response to his query. I did have a wonderful time. "We just got to have some childish fun, you know? But it got old, I can't do that stuff long term." I explained the reasoning behind my return to the Death God whom seemed to understand my misfortune. "Missed all of this."

Phil let one of his wings slide behind my back, as if a side hug from the tattered limb. "Missed you." Phil mumbled out.

Part of me wanted to bask in this. Play up this happy family act Phil so desperately wanted to imagine and live in. A wing around my shoulders and a warm cup of tea in my palms. A earthy toned cabin blocking out the winter chill with a crackling fire. But I couldn't. I just couldn't. I can't let sleeping dogs lie apparently.

Maybe that's a trait I should be ashamed of. But I have so much to be ashamed of and hide in my closet, what the hell is one more skeleton for the collection?

"I missed Tech when I was gone." Rip off the bandaid I decided. Bring up the elephant in the room Phil was trying so hard to turn a blind eye to. I could feel his wing puff, feathers sticking uncomfortably up before smoothing back down once more.

"I miss him too." Phil choked out, smile more strained.

"I want to talk to him when he returns." I pressed further, I wouldn't let Phil run this time. I wouldn't back down and I wouldn't cry. I'm not going to lock doors. I'm a grown woman, I'm a goddess, I can stand my fucking ground.

Phil took the bait. How could he not? "About what?" He questioned.

"About the fact that I like caramel." It was an innocent enough statement. One I know Phil wouldn't immediately catch onto. Another trap for the Angel to fall into and a statement to give him a false sense of security.

Phil seemed to calm down a bit after I said that, feathers now completely laying down. "Ah. Did you...? Have some at Eret's castle?" He has no idea what he's getting himself into. If I could, I'd feel bad.

"Yes, I ate quite a bit. I had no idea I liked it that much until Foolish told me, you know?" I paused, giving him a moment for the words to sink in. "A couple hundred years ago I enjoyed it quite a lot according to him, I suppose it didn't change in the slightest."

In just a second Phil was completely tensed and as pale as a ghost. Blue eyes opened comically wide and blond hair on his neck sticking on end to match his inky black feathers. The hands holding his cup of tea gripping so tightly they turned a shade of whitish yellow. "What do you mean?" He tried to speak casually and evenly, but failed. The words were stiff and far from natural.

"I'm not stupid, Phil." He cut me off before I could continue to speak.

"You are far from it, which is why you should abandon these childish thoughts-" It was my turn now. I wouldn't let more lies slip off of his tongue, this is mine.

I glared, I didn't even try to hide it. "There is something going on here, and I want to know the truth. With or without Tech here. I'm done Phil, I mean it. Do you want me to say every suspicious thing that's occurred as of recent? Because I can and Lady Death knows I will. So spit it out." I did mean it. I meant it so much it hurt. My heart aches and I swear it had dropped to my stomach. This was nerve wracking and liberating all the same.