❦Eighty Eight❦

[If you don't follow me or if you aren't in the discord you probably didn't know this, but I was on hiatus due to finals. I am a junior in highschool so I was in test hell for a few weeks there, though I have returned! So the regular upload schedule of a chapter or more a week will resume!]

[TW! After effects of sexual assault, thoughts of self hatred, self harm.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Trust is inherently strenuous to build, yet so easily shattered."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think actually walking out the castle gates was the most difficult part of the exchange. A new morning was boring down on the earth, and sunlight was streaming through trees as I made my way to the Nether portal.

With no plausible plans of returning anytime soon.

We know I would visit at some point inevitably, but without the relationship tying me to these lands, I have no real reason to stay. I have Ranboo, sure, but the kiddo has his own house in the Arctic. I mean at this point I'm asking the Gods to give me patience, or an untraceable weapon.

Either way, every second I hated the Nether more. Yes, perhaps my best friend has direct genetic ties here, that does not change the fact I despise it with a burning passion. Ironic.

I was wearing my uniform again, luckily Eret had washed and patched what had been cut through. I wonder how many times he's had to do that to my clothes. Being crafty with clothing and having your former partner constantly get into combat is a good match.

In my bag I also had a winter coat, I wasn't trying to walk the couple miles to the cabins from the Nether portal without a coat. Especially after being in warmth for months, not so much as touching snow. It would be a drastic change, that much is for sure.

Maybe if I focused on the temperature change, I could ignore the other changes moulding and taking shape around me. Building up like the tops of a castle teetering on a thread, leaning over my frame and shadowing on the ground for miles.

A ghast screamed, sounding distraught as it's face morphed into something full of sorrow and pain. I couldn't help but wonder if they were truly saddened or if that's just how they looked.

I don't know who fixed the pathing in the Nether, but either way there was now a giant hole halfway into one due to the ghast. I brought out my scythe, holding it in front of me readied. The ghast screeched once more, a fireball whipping through the air. This was a stupid maneuver, risky and possible deadly, but I was confident in my reaction time.

I slammed the netherite forward right as I felt sweltering heat rush across my form. There was a clang and a heavy pressure against my body, and when my vision cleared I could see the creature turn to smoke. A single ghast tear falling into the lava below.

I exhaled slowly, cringing as hot air entered my lungs. The lingering smell of ash and white hot heat making me cringe. The Nether smells like death.

I saw a grouping of piglin in the corner of my eye, and I knew the gold on my body was enough to fend them off, yet they still made my heart race. The ears and tusks, general features and build, far too similar to Tech.

Now I'm thinking even the sight of him worries me.

I started walking a bit faster to that portal.

Suddenly the Nether was too much, too much of everything. Too much heat, radiating from everywhere and enveloping my body. It wasn't comforting anymore, it didn't remind me of Tech's hugs in the middle of a blizzard, it reminded me of a nauseating fever. Not to mention the stagnant air, dry and unmoving, yet everything was making noise and chaotic. The bubbling of lava, screams of ghasts, magma cubes with piglin. It seems like everything was too quiet and too loud at the same time.