True story: robbed at 3 am

I was home alone two days ago while my parents were staying over at their friends house. They were having a wine tasting party and they both got to tipsy so they decided to stay in a guest house. I was completely fine being alone it was already 11 pm at the time so I was heading to bed. It was at 3 am when I woke up with my heart pounding in my chest, my eyes were wide and I was fully awake when I heard a loud noise coming from downstairs. I heard glass shattering and the sound of my front door being beaten down. The house was pitch black so I decided to quickly take a look at the corner of the stairs to see what was happening before I made a decision on what to do.

My heart started pounding harder out of the feeling of complete horror when I saw one man breaking down my entire front door along with the steel frame that held it together. I was frozen in place gripping onto the railing watching him run into the door over and over again until one hinge broke off and he fell inside on his knees but he quickly got up and took off through the downstairs part of the house.

I realized he would be coming upstairs soon so I quietly rushed back to my room and locked the door. I got my phone from my dresser and called 911, luckily the police patrolled this area often so I knew it wouldn't take long for them to come. The operator said they have units on the way and she told me to stay quiet and to be in a locked room which I was. Suddenly I heard the sound of heavy footsteps running upstairs and my whole body stiffened. I heard him enter the bathroom first but quickly leave that area, next he entered my parents room which was thankfully empty. I heard him opening drawers and knocking things onto the ground as he rummaged through my parents belongings. Next he went into our guest room but quickly left that too. The only room left was mine now.

I saw the door handle move and once he realized it was locked he started to shoulder the door like he did to the front door. I started to crawl into a safer space to hide just in case he managed to get inside. My heart was still pounding like crazy in my chest and I started feeling a sense of denial, I couldn't believe this was happening.

Then I saw red and blue lights from outside reflecting off my walls and I heard him stop, I heard his footsteps run downstairs again. There was a commotion from downstairs but it quickly faded out through the front door. I peeked through my blinds and saw him being taken to a third squad car that was in my driveway. Finally my heart rate started to go back to normal. The police boarded up the doorway as a temporary fix until we can get a new door, thankfully everything that he stole was recovered since he dropped some going down the stairs and the rest when he got arrested. My parents couldn't come home that night but they were upset at the news. I still feel a bit delirious from this, I still can't believe this happened and I can't believe how clumsy that guy was and how he wasn't caught sooner by someone on the street in front of my house. But what's done is done and hopefully this won't happen ever again.

Posted by u/K-rose315