A man was in my friend's closet

This is going to be really long, but this happened in the middle of May, 2018. So my sophomore year of high school was coming to an end, and I became really good friends with this girl, let's just call her Mary for privacy. I sat with Mary, and two other friends during lunch that semester, and on the Monday after Mother's Day, Mary came up to me and was like "something really weird happened to me last night", I was like okay what was it? And she told me that in the middle of the night, she woke up and couldn't breathe, or get out of bed. She said that when she reached up to touch her neck, she felt literal hands on her neck, and they were holding her down. She said it freaked her out, but just assumed she was dreaming or something, and just tried to fall back asleep. When she told me this, I was like yeah, she's DEFINITELY just dreaming, but of course I didn't say that to her, I was just like "wtf, that's so weird, tell me if it happens to you again". Then, the next day, she said the exact same thing happened again, but she was able to break free, so she went into her parents room and told them. They were pretty mad that she woke them up, and they told her to go back to sleep and that she was just sleepwalking, or dreaming or something. I feel really bad, cause when she told me this again, I didn't believe her. She kept telling me this for a few more days, but then on either Thursday or Friday, she came straight up to me and was like "There was a man in my closet." She said the same story, but this time, when she got up, she still couldn't breathe, and could still feel hands on her neck. Her parents door was locked, probably cause they were annoyed with her, and she went into the bathroom and turned on the light, and there was a dark figure next to her. She got so terrified that she fainted, and her parents heard her fall, so they came rushing in. She went to the hospital, and the nurse said it was most likely sleep paralysis, but then the cops came to her house when they got back that morning, and were going around the neighbourhood asking if they'd "seen this man" (holding up a picture). Her parents told the cops what happened to Mary, and they searched the house and found the man. He had been hiding in her closet for the past week, and coming out during the day while everyone was gone to eat or whatever. He had stolen some stuff on Sunday, and got in the house through an unlocked window. He said he wanted to kill her cause she's Muslim, and Mary said that he gave her an evil look when he was walked out to the police car in cuffs. She said he was y'all, really skinny, had a beard, and was young, like 21 or younger. He was hiding behind her bed choking her, and said the only reason why he didn't kill her when she fainted was because her parents woke up. Mary moved last summer, I'm guessing because of that, and she had a stalker too, which is another story.

Posted by u/lstallerr