The Dark Room (True Story)

My family and I decided to drive down to San Diego with my best friend last Wednesday. It was a long, and tiring drive that took nearly 12 hours in total, a long time in the car with various stops to rest and eat. We were headed down to visit my sister who is in the military. We don't get to see her that often and we value every second we get with her. Once we finally made it down there, we were all tied and ready to get some sleep. Originally, we had only planned to drive half way down, and get up early and finish the drive the next morning. Since we drove all of the way, we had no hotel to stay in until the next night. My sisters friend offered to let us stay in her house that night, and we quickly accepted. Alyssa (my best friend) and I stayed in the separate house on the property and the rest of the family stayed inside. The small house only had one large room, and a small storage room on the side. I had not stepped foot in the storage room, and Alyssa only did when she was making sure the windows were shut and locked, and to check no one was in there. We were up well past midnight, on our phones and talking. When we finally decided to get some sleep, we made a bed with the blankets and pillows they provided us with. It was super comfy and warm, I didn't want to get up. I turned on YouTube and shut off the lights. We said goodnight, and both fell asleep. I opened my eyes, and realized something that would terrify me. I was in a small room, with the moon being the only source of light. There were boxes everywhere, and Alyssa kneeled in the corner, facing the wall. She had her phone and was using its flashlight to illuminate the space in front of her, which was the wall. I didn't know where I was, which scared me to death that I had just woken up somewhere other than where I had fallen asleep. I asked Alyssa what she was doing, and she insisted that there was a door, but I couldn't see one. I reached for my phone in my pocket, but it wasn't there. I walked through the boxes multiple times to get to Alyssa, but had gone back because there was no room for me to stand there. There was a door behind me, but Alyssa wasn't paying any attention to it, so I didn't either. But after what seemed like forever, and I was growing tired, I decided to try the door. I opened it slowly and peered out. I had been in the storage room. Alyssa was asleep on the bed we made and my iPad was still playing the Youtube videos I had turned on. I don't know how I got in the room, or who I was in there with, but it wasn't Alyssa.

Posted by u/emmyhansen